What I would tell my former self, to be prepared for the future.

If I Could, I Would Tell My Former Self These 6 Things To Help Him Grow Up

As I grew up I went through a lot - just like all of us - here's some advice I would give to my former self should I have the opportunity to talk to my former self.

120
Daniel Dorociak

Obviously, times do change. We find new friends, meet and interact with new people, we go through many ups and downs. However, as I look back on my former self I would have a few things to say.

1. Do not be afraid to be who you are.

Some may view what you have to say as radical, or to 'Old-Fashioned' but always stand up for what you believe in and never judge anyone for something they say. If you believe in something or were taught a certain way, learn about why you believe that way and stick to it. If someone tries to force you to change, stand up for what you believe in and don't let them change you.

2. Live your younger years out to the fullest.

Don't be afraid of getting hurt in football, don't be afraid to ask that cute girl out to the dance or on a date - even if you know she might reject you... it builds confidence for when you find that special someone. Don't be afraid either of what others think of your relationship, they are just jealous of what you have.

3. Expand your horizons beyond what you already do.

It will help you meet new people, and do things you never thought you could do. Also, it will help you build confidence to stick your neck out in the classroom.

4. Stick to your values.

Don't cave into peer pressure. You don't have to fit the stereotypes that come along with what you want to do. Prove the world wrong and show that you are better than normal. This will help you with whatever you choose to do in life. It will also show the world that they cannot always assume that you fit the norm.

5. When life knocks you down you must get back up and keep on grinding.

Life is going to throw A LOT at you and some of it is more then you can even fathom. However, you must always remember that life is trying to keep you back and that if you want to achieve something you can't let life keep you from doing it.

6. Set big dreams.

Don't limit yourself to what your friends or parents want you to do. If you want to do something in life: do it; if you want a job then you do whatever you can to get that job. As the quote on my High School wall said: "Shoot for the moon, and if you miss, you will land amongst the stars".