Here's To Finding The Perfect Home

Here's To Finding The Perfect Home

Tips for sorority recruitment

13
Here's To Finding The Perfect Home
Her Campus

As a senior in college looking back, I can honestly say joining a sorority is one of the best decisions I've ever made. The friends, values, memories, and confidence I have gained will be with me forever. Fall recruitment is right around the corner, and although this can seem overwhelming and stressful, it's SO worth it when you are running into the arms of your perfect new sisters on bid day.

1. Relax and be yourself.

Coming from someone who has been on both sides of recruitment, I can say we are actually just as nervous as the girls coming through rush, if not more so. I know it’s easier said than done, but try to open up to people and let them get to know your personality and interests. Don’t try to change how you dress, talk, or act just to conform to what you think a certain chapter wants.

P.S. Smile!

2. Dress cute but comfortably.

Dress in something that makes you feel beautiful and confident, and it will definitely show. If you want to wear heels, make sure you bring comfy flats in case your feet start to ache later. You want to be comfortable so you aren’t distracted or constantly messing with your outfit, shoes, or jewelry.

3. Keep an open mind.

Never say never. When I first came to college, I had my heart set on a different chapter than where I actually ended up. This had stemmed from an older friend belonging to that chapter. Basing a decision on what was right for someone else would’ve kept me from the right home for me. Also, if you’re a legacy and you don’t feel 100 percent about that chapter, don’t feel like that’s your only option.

Keep an open mind with all of the chapters and follow your heart.

4. Look at the group as a whole.

I remember being so worried because I couldn’t remember all of the names of the people I had talked to and all of the conversations were starting to run together. Something good to do is pay attention to the group as a whole. Look at how the girls are interacting with each other and the things they talk about. Ask about what they do together for fun. Could you see yourself dressed up and out on the town with these girls BUT also hanging out with no makeup, eating pizza, and watching Netflix? Don’t base your opinion on a conversation with one person. Talk to as many girls as possible.

5. Keep it classy.

Don’t talk about booze and boys. Don't curse. Instead of talking about about boys, parties, and gossip, let them know about your hobbies and interests. This will show you are in recruitment for the right reasons.

6. Ask questions.

Don’t be afraid to ask questions! Some things to ask about are dues, GPA requirements, philanthropy, sisterhoods, and anything else you may be curious about.