I Asked 26 People For Advice On Getting Back Into The Dating Game

I Asked 26 People For Advice On Getting Back Into The Dating Game, And It's All About Loving Yourself

Self-love is everything.

4299

To some who have been out of the dating world for a while, it can be hard to get back into the swing of things after being single for some time. So, I asked 26 people what they think is important to know before looking for love again, here's what they had to say.

1. Bri, 23

"You need to love yourself. You have to love who you are before someone else can love you or you're just going to find your happiness through them — that's not healthy! Take time and truly know who you are as a person before jumping in. Remember, there's no perfect timeline of when you have to be married--take it a day at a time and love yourself first and foremost."

2. Abbey, 21

"From my experience, definitely a good sense of self worth and what you are looking for in a partner. It's also important to understand the signs of a toxic relationship/person."

3. Bree, 21 

"What you can put up with in a relationship (things you like and don't like)."

4. Bri, 28

"What they are looking for out the relationships. Are you dating for fun? Are you dating for companionship? Are you looking for a husband/wife? Are you dating because you are lonely?"

5. Charlotte, 22

"Right now, if they were being safe during COVID. Also if they have any direction in their life. BIG thing for me."

6. Maria, 21

"You need to know if you're mentally prepared to deal with the highs and lows of dating a new person. We are currently going through a societal trauma and it's best to understand your needs and what could help or hurt you during this anxiety-inducing era."

7. Dave, 33

"They need to be sufficient and able to make themselves happy before making a go at dating!"

8. Bobbie, 21

"I really think a person needs to know their worth. After failed relationships, some people will spiral into a state where they do not know how amazing they are anymore. They'll take what they can get instead of what they deserve. You must truly know and believe that you deserve the world before *easily* getting back into a successful relationship. After a few failed relationships in a row, I spiraled. I went through guy after guy and eventually realized that I was just a piece of meat to most of them. When I finally decided to acknowledge my worth, I found a great guy who saw how amazing I was, too. Almost two years later, we're still together and are planning to move in together soon."

9. Anonymous, 20

"Before getting back into the dating game, someone needs to love themselves again first. You can't love someone else again if you don't love yourself first."

10. Lexi, 20

"Please make sure you have reached closure from your last relationship & make sure they have, too. You guys don't need to be trying to fix each other and build a relationship at the same time."

11. Sarah, 21

"You need to know how to love yourself in a healthy way before adding someone else to the mix."

12. Jenni, 21

"Your love language and how you communicate issues/approach confrontation."

13. Sadie, 22

"Love themselves wholely."

14. Noah, 21

"That it is quite alright to be yourself and take things slow. Hypothetically speaking, if the next person you date is the one you're going to be with for the rest of your life then why rush anything?"

15. Radhi, 27

"How to stay grounded and maintain peace of mind."

16. Anonymous, 28

"What are you looking for. What are your non-negotiables. What are you willing to be lax/lenient on. How gross/unattractive you can be, and remember that when observing and making judgements of others."

17. Madelyn, 20

"You are always your own first priority!"

18. Sandy, 68

"Boundaries -- I seemed to learn a lot about what I didn't want "next time". Sticking to my boundaries gave me self respect, and the quality of my relationships improved."

19. Sarah, 23

"Their worth."

20. Sam, 29

"What makes them happy."

21. Ana, 21

"Their worth."

22. Ben, 26

"Who you really are."

23. Em, 21

"They need to know their self worth. They need to know that they are more than what the haters tell them. They need to know that they do not owe anyone anything."

24. Anonymous, 23

"That they are enough (In/with God). A man/relationship won't satisfy you and you'll be left disappointed time and time again if that's what you're going for. Also, remember that you get to be choosy/picky with someone, we're not looking to waste anybody's time!"

25. Cece, 18

"They need to know who they are and how to make themselves happy without another person in the picture."

26. Chrissy, 23

"They need to understand their own worth; they can't find that in someone else."

No matter where you are in your dating journey, the key thing to remember is to know your self-worth before anything else. Take things slow, learn to love yourself, and everything will fall into place.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.