Advice for Incoming College Freshmen

Advice for Incoming College Freshmen

11 tips to keep you sane.

8
Advice for Incoming College Freshmen
Troy Palladium

Your housing is booked, your student loan paperwork is piling up, and your mother is crying everyday. You must be leaving for college. Whether you will be hours from home or across the street at community college, these tips are for any newbie trying to make the most of their freshman year.

1. College is not high school.

Say it, and then say it again. College is not going to be exactly what you expect. Keep an open mind (now and forever more) and accept what happens. Have no expectations and just roll with it.

2.Don't be too quick to judge.

Keep an open mind towards the people you meet. You probably went to highschool with the same kids you grew up with. You know their stories and where they come from. College is different because everyone has a different story. You all ended up at the same school through a different set of circumstances. I met some of the best people in my life at college. Don't be afraid to meet new people and form relationships. You'll be glad you did.

3. GET INVOLVED.

You will hear this every day during Welcome Week but I cannot stress this enough. Go to the Activity Fairs and find every event posted around campus. This is where you will make your friends. Interested in garage bands? There's a club for that. Pokemon dating club? There's got to be one somewhere. If you don't get involved you will find yourself in the routine of going to class and going back to your room everyday.

4. Your grades are not everything.

Yes, you are in school to get a degree. But you can get a degree online. You are in college to experience life with others on the same track as you. I have never heard anyone say "College was amazing, so glad I was a hermit and had a 4.0 GPA". Do things, stay on top of school, but don't put all your hopes and dreams in the balance of a numerical value. Experience life.

5. Don't forget to take care of yourself.

Your mother is not going to be there everyday to ask you if you are okay or if you need anything. Do not wake up three weeks into the semester and realize you never bought a hair brush and your laundry is now a permanent fixture on the floor. If you need help, ask for it. Your campus is going to have several resources for you. On the other hand, don't forget to be a responsible human being either. Do not rely on others for your basic needs and if you need to get that part-time job to survive, then do it.

6. Learn to make sacrifices.

Yes,you would like to go to that movie with the crew, but if you know you have a test in the morning that you haven't even looked at then stay in. The crew will still be there the next day. FOMO is a real thing, but don't let it ruin your college career. Sacrifice a few nights here and there to get your life in order.

7. Call your parents...often.

Don't make your parents feel like burdens. Chances are, you are only in college because they helped you get there. Call them. Tell them what is going on and tell them about your days. Tell them about the guy in your class and about the professor you hate. Tell them about the concert downtown and the free pizza in the lounge. They want to hear these things. Yes, you have a new 'independence', but you still need your family.

8. Beware of 7am and 'block classes'

You will tell yourself that you can get up that early for a music appreciation course, but who really wants to listen to Bach at 7am? You will end up skipping more than you go, trust me. Also, those three hour once-a-week classes are a trap. You will get too much information in one day and forget half of it by the next meeting. My ideal schedule is 10am-2pm with no breaks because once you go home, you won't want to go back to campus. Think about these things when making your schedule.

9. Freshman Fifteen is REAL.

In my case it was Freshman Twenty, but who's counting? There will be free food everywhere, all the time. Stay on top of your health and take the stairs to class. You don't want to go home for Thanksgiving and have your grandparents ask if you've gained weight.

10. School Spirit is important.

You are now part of history at that school. What you do will reflect the stduetn body for those four years and even if your football team sucks and the band is 'just a bunch of noise', wear your colors proudly.

11. Lastly, don't be afraid to change your mind.

Don't be afraid to change your hair, your relationship status, your crew, or your major. Now is the time to be the person you want to be. It's never too late to be brand new and try new things. Even if you are a fifth year senior, you can change your major and start over. Take the jump and see where it takes you. Pray about your future, pray about your friends, and pray for God to guide you. He will open the doors meant for you.