7 Pieces Of Advice On Growing Out Your Hair

This brand practices sustainability and their products contain natural ingredients from different countries.

33

At the beginning of the summer I always cut my hair a bit shorter than normal. My hair grows extremely fast and by the end of the summer, my hair is all the way down my back. I have extremely thick hair and it’s not always easy to maintain. Over the years I have learned a few tips and tricks to promote hair growth and maintain healthy hair.

1. Get a professional hairdresser

Growing up I can’t tell you how many times I’ve walked into a salon and asked for a trim and thin out. I’ve sat down in the chair and was talked out of getting my hair thinned out. I understand that some hairdressers don't believe in thinning out hair. However, I have extremely thick, heavy hair to say the least. I’ve broken plenty of hairbrushes and snapped a countless number of hair ties. Some months my hair gets so heavy that I’m not able to put it up. If I do an updo, I get an awful migraine and have to take it down. If I’m not suffering from an awful migraine, I’m getting huge knots at the nape of my neck.

My texture of hair requires a hairdresser that knows what they are doing. I make it a priority to see my hairdresser a few times of year to cut off the dead ends, throw some layers in it and thin it out. My hairdresser recommends I come in every three months to maintain my healthy locks.

2. OGX Beauty

I live for this brand. Disclaimer: I’m not sponsored or doing marketing for this brand by any means. I am not a certified beautician or cosmetologist. As a writer, I am just sharing what has worked best for me. For years, my sister and I have been buying shampoo and conditioner from this line. This brand practices sustainability and their products contain natural ingredients from different countries. For example, this brand uses Cloudberry Extract found in Scandinavia which contains a concentration of vitamins and antioxidants that our hair and skin crave.

My favorite product from them is the Ever Straightening Brazilian Keratin Therapy Shampoo and Conditioner. The shampoo alone leaves my hair feeling soft. The conditioner adds triple the softness and leaves my hair feeling smooth and looking shiny.

3. Use Moroccan Argan Oil

One of my go to oils is from OGX Beauty as well, The Renewing Argan Oil of Morocco Penetrating Oil is a great product. If you are looking to strengthen your hair and prevent split ends, consider buying a bottle of Moroccan Argan Oil. I also use the Marc Anthony True Professional Nourishing Argan Oil of Morocco Oil Treatment. I received a sample of this in my Ipsy bag a few months back and I used the entire sample. I usually apply a dime size amount at the tips of my damp hair.

4. Dying and highlighting—don't

I’m looking to donate my hair next year so I haven’t been dying or highlighting my hair. My hair is healthier than ever. When you dye or highlight your hair you are damaging your hair cuticles.

5. Use a heat protectant

I’m constantly styling my hair. I use a hair dryer, hair straightener and a curling iron often. Before using excessive amount of heat, use a heat protectant. Heat protectants guards your hair from the heat. Without a protectant you are damaging or even frying your hair. The heat protectant my sister and I use is the Thermal Creations Heat Tamer Spray. This product protects your hair from heat appliances up to 450 degrees.

6. Invest in dry shampoo

I’m not going to lie, I don’t wash my hair more than four times a week. A large part of growing out my hair is leaving it unwashed for a few days. Every time you wash your hair you are stripping it of natural oils that your hair craves. If your hair does get oily at the roots, spray some dry shampoo there. Before dry shampoo became popular, I use to throw baby powder into my hair because it works the same way. I have darker brown hair so I use the Batiste Hint of Color Dark and Deep Brown bottle. I love this product because the dry shampoo is tinted and doesn’t leave those stray gray lines in your hair from not blending it in well enough. If you do wash your hair regularly, dry shampoo can also volumize your hair.

7. Hair, skin and nail vitamins

I am someone who was constantly getting sick, so my doctor told me to start taking vitamins. I use the Hair, Skin and Nail Gummies by Nature’s Bounty. They provide your body with the proper vitamins to promote hair and nail growth and clear skin. I have acrylic nails and I’ve been using these vitamins for two months now and my nails grow much faster than before. I usually can’t maintain the three week wait to get a fill anymore because they grow so fast over a two week period.

I spend as much money on my hair as I do my skin. Some people may think this is a lot of work, but once you incorporate these products into your daily routine, it’s very simple. If you keep up with these products and take care of your hair, you will see results.