5 Tips for Keeping Up Crochet Braids

5 Tips for Keeping Up Crochet Braids

My crochet braids have become my identity and they have definitely strengthened my hair.

34541
5 Tips for Keeping Up Crochet Braids

Crochet braids are my go-to protective style for the winter. In the winter my hair gets really dry and brittle. The cold can definitely damage my hair. Therefore, I put my hair in crochet braids to keep my hair safe from the harsh winter weather and to keep it moisturized. This is my fourth time wearing crochet braids and through watching my friends grow to love their crochet styles and loving mine I have learned some tips to keep the hair in and looking stylish for a long time.

1. Moisturize the Crochet

Hair that people use for crochet is very different. First, it ranges from what style you are looking for, it could be kinky, curly, straight, and or marley. Then it ranges from the company that makes the products. I have found that even though the hair seems to not be real human hair, it still deserves care. For curly and kinky hair a nice moose is sure to keep your curls bounded and not so frizzy. For more straight hair a handful of oil can help the hair look fresh and not dried out.

If you have braids, twists, or dreads take a little oil and just run it through your hair. This will help alleviate frizz and elevate shininess. It really helps if you do a night time routine as well. When you have straight and or curly hair put the substance in your hand and separate it with your fingers in order to help with tangles. Then at night make sure to put your hair in a satin bonnet or sleep on a satin cased pillow, because cotton sheets and pillows really live to make any type of hair frizzy.

2. Do Not Separate Hair

I have learned that frizziness is not that bad when you do not separate the curls. It does result in a lot more hair packets being used, but it is definitely worth it, because it is less likely to frizz.

3. Clean Your Scalp

Even though crochet is a protective style, you do still have to protect the hair under it. Remember to moisturize and clean your scalp on a regular basis. I would definitely not go more than three days without cleaning your scalp and definitely try to oil your scalp on a daily basis.

The best thing I have found to keep a clean scalp is Dr. Miracle's Scalp Care. It definitely does lift flakes and leaves your scalp feeling clean and fresh with a minty smell. After the Scalp Care, I would definitely recommend using some oil to go over your scalp with.

4. Clip The Frizz Away

Hair will become frizzy, it is inevitable. Although, instead of pulling the frizz out of your hair spend time once every two weeks or whenever you get time if it is before that and clip the frizz out of your hair with scissors. Clipping it will put less stress on the hair and stop the frizz without creating more.

5. Love Your Natural Hair

Remember to fully wash and deep condition your hair before putting it in crochet braids. Also, oil your scalp and rub some oil through your hair before you crochet it. This will leave your hair feeling loved before you put it under more hair. This will allow the hair underneath to grow strong and show its true colors.

Crochet braids have been a life saver. It is definitely easier than twisting my hair every night. Of course, I still have to do something to my hair on a regular basis, but it does not take hours. It is a perfect style for any season and the price for the hair is cheap. Installation can be cheap as well. Now go far into your crochet journey! Let me know how it goes!