Advice From Dr. Seuss

Advice From Dr. Seuss

The same person who inspired you in kindergarten can inspire you in college.

12
Advice From Dr. Seuss
WP Carey University

Every college student could use some motivation and inspiration every once in a while.

Thanks, Dr. Seuss.

“You have brains in your head” // Whether your current GPA says it or not, you are smart. Otherwise, you wouldn’t be where you are today!

“You have feet in your shoes.” // You have the ability to go, see, and do whatever you want each day. Don't forget this ability!

“You can steer yourself” // You don’t need permission or validation from others – YOU are in charge.

“Any direction you choose.” // You can go anywhere you want and be anyone you want to be… the only one who can stop you is you.

“You’re on your own.” // You’ve worked very hard to get to where you are at this point. Now, you’re in charge of every step forward.

“And you know what you know.” // You’re grounded in who you are and should be confident in it every day.

“And you are the guy who’ll decide where to go.” // It’s definitely not all planned out yet, but setting goals is never a bad idea.

“You’ll get all mixed up,”// Each day will bring a new, unexpected challenge, and you’ll feel like giving up.

“Of course, as you already know.”// Oh, you DEFINITELY know.

“You’ll get mixed up” // Society will test you.

“With many strange birds as you go.” // Family, friends, professors, bosses… they all play a role in your success but also in part of the madness. Don’t let them completely control your sanity.

“So be sure when you step,” // Take action! If you’re not settled, you have the power to move forward.

“Step with care and great tact” // Use your steps wisely, don’t waste them or hurt yourself.

“And remember that: Life’s a Balancing Act.” // Yes, you want good grades, a great social life, to make money, to be apart of every extra-curricular, to keep in contact with your family. But don’t miss out on truly enjoying every moment by getting caught up in being the best in everything. When you learn to balance it out, you’ll learn that you’ll never be happier.

“And will you succeed?” // The choice is yours.

“Yes! You will, indeed!” // You will only succeed if you believe you can.

“(98 and 3/4 % guaranteed.)” // And that 1 1/4% just probably hasn’t checked Blackboard in a few weeks…

“Kid, you’ll move mountains!” // You’ll be amazed to see the amount that you can accomplish when you stop yourself from getting caught up in stigma and the pull of society. Have confidence, trust in yourself, don’t give up, and you will truly be able to move mountains in our world. Don’t hesitate to take the first step!

From, “Oh The Places You’ll Go”, Dr. Seuss, 1990