15 Changes I Wish I Could Tell 17-Year-Old Me To Make

There are so many things that could have been changed. There are so many things you wouldn't change.

160
Allison Bailey

It seems like years ago... whether it actually is or isn't. There are so many things that could have been changed. There are so many things you wouldn't change. The first time in life that I had a new found freedom of decision making. Complete 100% responsibility for relationships and conversations. No matter how glorious this time seemed... it's funny how this point of view changes.

Instead of being trapped in a building with the same people, I am now open to endless opportunity with no walls. As scary as this seems there is something so special about it. Here are some things I would tell the anxious, curious, and easily distracted 17-year old that still exists in ALL of us.

1. Not everyone will like you.

This is something I still don't want to come to terms with. It's tough... but oh so true. The right people will love you.

2. It's not always your job to say "I'm Sorry"

Nope. It's not. People pleasing is just as much a curse as it is a blessing. Don't confuse rudeness with people pleasing. God calls us to always be a light, but not a doormat.

3. Time heals, always.

It feels like the end of the world now, but it's not. You will be surprised how peoples emotions are so fleeting. You might even surprise yourself.

4. Go run that errand with your dad

Some moments you just can't get back. Take advantage of all of them why you have them. You won't always be at home to see him.

5. If a friendship isn't beneficial on both sides, you don't need it.

Stop trying to make sense of everything. You'll eventually drive yourself crazy. Not worth it.

6. He isn't the end of the world.

I understand you're confused as to what to do. Chances are He is to. Leave him be. Don't listen to what the world says about being hostile and standoffish. That will only hurt you in the long run.

7. Pray

Constantly. Nothing in this world comes without God's grace. Things slowly start to make sense.

8. It's a small world

Trust me... everyone knows everyone. Always be careful what you say.

9. Saying "no" is ok.

Some of the best situations will come because you said "no" to other ones.

10. Don't play the compare game

There will always be someone prettier and smarter than you...But there is no one JUST like you.

11. Say things only if you believe them yourself.

Practice what you preach. People will respect you more.

12. Be slow to judge.

The whole "you never know what someone is going through" is SO true.

13. Don't express your anger on social media.

This can be even in a form of being petty. It's better to just let it go. Don't waste your time on it.

14. Wait for proof

Never believe someone's words unless their actions back it up. Words mean nothing if someone's intentions are empty.

15. Never forget where you came from

Always stay grateful and live life with an open mindset. College changes people. Life changes people. Experiences change people. Never let your success cause you to lose sight of who you are.