Pieces Of Advice For Every High School Student Needs To Know

7 Pieces Of Advice Every High School Student Needs To Know

For your grades and for your sanity, here's what I would say to every high school student out there.

89
Cathy Nguyen

I loved high school. Yes, there were some ups and downs. Yes, there are some things I regret doing and not having done. However, if given the chance, I probably would not have changed a single part of it because then I wouldn't be who I am today. It's been a few weeks since I graduated high school, and looking back, here are some things that I learned.

1. Try your best, but don't stress. 

No college is not going to accept you because you got one bad grade on a test. We all have our bad moments. Just don't make a habit of it. Once you see that bad grade, seek help, work harder. You will get better. It's important that you always try your hardest in your work, but if you stumble, just get back up again. One bad grade is never the end of the world.

2. Know that you might not walk out with the same people you walked in with. 

People change. You're going to change. It's OK to let go. It's just the nature of life.

3. That being said... be yourself. 

It's cliche I know. But don't be someone you're not just so a friendship, not worth hanging on to, doesn't fall apart. If you spend your four years in high school being someone you're not, you will be lost once you get to college. High school is a chance to start defining you. Don't let others take that away from you.

4.  Have goals. Aim high. But know things are not going to go exactly as planned. 

Some people may plan out every year of their high school career. I know for me, I had plans of how exactly I wanted my senior year to go, and they ended up falling apart pretty quickly. But ultimately, it was for the best. So if you don't get into that college you dreamed about, make it as captain of that sports team, remember it might be hard, but it happened for a reason. There is something good coming that you might not yet be able to see. It happened that way for a reason.

5. Be involved. Meet new people. Lean into discomfort. 

I was very involved in high school and in my community. I can honestly say that it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Your church is holding a day of service? Go. A local high school is holding a conference? Go. Take every opportunity that comes your way. You might surprise yourself. In the end, you'll build a network of people you will be able to rely on in the future. You will discover how small the world can really be.

6. Spend time with your friends and family. 

I am pretty guilty of not doing this one. There is going to come a time where you will have to leave your family and drift away high school friends. Learn from them. They are in your life now for a reason. Don't take this time for granted.

7. Have fun! 

Your high school years are not all about college. Do not make them all about college. These are some of the years where you have more freedom than a kid but not exactly all the responsibilities of an adult. ENJOY IT!!