5 Pieces Of Advice For College Graduates

No, our weekends don't start on Thursdays anymore.

51
Lyncee Stroman

Graduating from college is a scary, yet exhilarating moment in a young adult's life. You have your whole life ahead of you so it may be a little confusing for some to plan their next move in life. Recently graduating from college has made me realize how important this transition period is, but also how crucial it is to live your life before we get into the boring routine of working full time. Here are five pieces of advice for recent college graduates or those preparing to graduate next year.

1. Stay in contact with your friends.

College may have brought you wonderful friends that will remain in your life for the long haul. Despite this transition being difficult (i.e finding a job, living at home after being on your own for four years, etc.), having your friends to speak to will lighten the transition period. If you are a person with a small friend group it is important to keep in touch so you won't end up alone. I made it my goal to stay in touch with my friends because my circle of friends is already small, and I am bad with keeping friends. Communication goes both ways though! If someone is not making an effort then it is time to cut them off no matter how many memories you share, because you have to keep positivity in your life during this time period.

2. Visit your friends or plan fun events.

Keeping in contact goes hand in hand with seeing your friends. It doesn't matter how far they live if you make the effort to see them, despite how busy your new life may be the relationship will last. Go to the beach, go to the gym together, have lunch, plan a trip, and don't lose that bond! You will miss hanging out with your friends in your dorm, eating Domino's at 12 a.m., and having the ability to see them in seconds. They will remain your friends for a while if the relationship and communication is mutual. I have kept in contact with my college friends and it is like nothing has changed, but the distance between us.

3. Embark on an adventure that you always wanted to try.

Having ample time between graduating and finding your first job will make some people go insane. The routine of going to school is over and you are back at home without the unlimited freedom granted by being in college. With that said, try something that you always wanted to do i.e. writing poetry, taking a trip to Europe, partaking in a pageant, modeling, etc. While some people may have chosen to continue their education straight after graduating, others will need that break and here is the opportunity to discover other talents, or interests because that degree does not determine your goal or journey in life. School will always be there, so follow your dreams because at least you have your lovely degree to fall back on!

4. Take time to get to know yourself.

Now you are an adult! It is nerve racking to handle new responsibilities straight out of college, but also fun to finally be recognized as an adult. You are not the same person you were in college just a few months ago because life matures you. So getting to know your likes and dislikes, and the things you want for yourself are crucial. It allows you to focus on your goals and although it is overwhelming, you can strategize your life in the near future. Create a vision board, which is a board with anything that you want to achieve in your life. For example, if you want to go to a concert or lose 15 pounds, place that on your board. The whole point of this is to visualize your thoughts and be active in order to achieve them. I made a vision board two years ago and I put it away, but when I looked at it again my goal of eating healthy, going out on weekends, and having an overall healthy lifestyle was accomplished because they were what I wanted and I worked on them. If you didn't accomplish a goal there is no time limit to when it can get done, but work towards making it happen.

5. Have fun!!!

Life is so stressful for no reason, and finding your way will be challenging. However, it is crucial to have fun with loved ones and friends in the meantime. It doesn't matter if you are seeing a movie alone, working out, or learning how to drive try to make the best of every situation because life is too short. I often struggle with happiness, but in order to not take life too seriously I try to distract myself to not let my thoughts overpower me. Read a self-help book, go on that run, or do whatever makes you happy when you are in that moment. We might not have our weekends start on Thursdays anymore, but that same carefree attitude that we had in college should remain with us!