20 Priceless Lessons I've Learned By The Time I Turned 20

I'm not promising to have life all figured out, but here's just some wisdom from my two decades of experience with life.

1359
Dan DePaola

I can't believe it, but as of February 19th, I will be 20. I don't know how this could be humanly possible since I feel like I just learned to drive and just graduated high school. As my teenage years come to an end, I would like to reflect on 20 things I have learned by 20.

1. There's no room in your life for toxic people.

This one is pretty self-explanatory, but seriously, don't waste your time with toxic people. You don't need that negativity in your life; instead, surround yourself with positive and supportive people. It'll make a world of a difference when you're not wasting all of your emotional energy on them.

2. When you're having a bad day or feeling down, put some makeup on and do your hair.

This one I learned very recently, but there is an art to getting ready. I personally enjoy wearing makeup and so when I notice I am not feeling myself, I'll get ready, and I notice an instant change in my mood.

3. Life is too short for bullshit.

This one is pretty vague but equally true. Life is too short to deal with negative people and negative situations.

4. Treat yourself once in a while.

For anyone who knows me, I am always the friend that people come to when they want support in spending money. I am extremely impulsive so I have to keep this in check, but once in a while, it's okay to buy yourself that pair of shoes or that top.

5. Go into every day with a positive attitude.

Every day is a new day and a fresh start. Start off your day on the right foot because you only have a limited number of them.

6. Go to class.

Trust me, just go.

7. Embrace change.

Change is usually always for the better. It sucks at first, but in the long run, you will be left happier and healthier.

8. Failure is okay.

Failure is your best opportunity for growth. Fail once in a while and learn from it.

9. Your parents are right.

As much as I hate to say it, parents are pretty much always right about everything. They were age once and know what it's like, so listen to them.

10. Not everyone is going to like you.

You can never please everyone, but that's okay. There are always going to be people who do not like you for whatever reason but don't let that be an insult to your character.

11. Forgive and move on.

Forgiving someone can be one of the hardest things to do, but there is no use in stewing on conflict. Forgive, but don't necessarily forget.

12. ALWAYS take off your makeup before bed.

Ladies, this is a must. I don't care how tired you are or how much you just want to crawl into bed and go to sleep. Your skin will thank you later.

13. Life's not about what happens to you, it's about how you respond to it.

This is a big thing that I've learned recently. Life may throw something at you that you are not in control of, but you have the choice in if you let it define you or if you grab life by the balls and fight back.

14. Take responsibility for your actions.

If you fail or fall short in whatever way there's no use in trying to deflect blame or point fingers. Just own up to what you did, learn from it and move on.

15. Comparison is toxic.

Everyone is different. Everyone is in different stages of life and doing different things. You are unique, and comparing yourself to anyone else is just hurting you. Be confident in yourself.

16. Some people are just plain jerks.

There are very kind people in this world, but also some people that God just isn't finished with yet. They'll come around, but don't waste your time on them right now.

17. Don't underestimate the power of music.

Music has helped me through a lot of things in my life. Music can be very therapeutic no matter what emotion you are feeling.

18. Never lose yourself.

Stay true to yourself and don't let anyone try to take away or belittle who you are. You are unique and if they do not appreciate you, they're not worth it.

19. Being single can be really fun.

You don't have to be in a rush to settle down. This is your time to have fun and be independent. Props to you if you have found your forever, but don't discount being single. Just because you're single doesn't mean you're lonely or alone.

20. Laugh as often as you can.

Laughing is the best stress reliever. Some of my favorite moments in life are when I'm laughing so hard my sides are in knots, and I have tears in my eyes. Don't take life too seriously.

I'm not promising to have the keys to life figured out. I still have a lot to learn and a lot of mistakes to make; I'm only 20, after all.