Advice For College Freshman

9 Pieces Of Honest Advice To Incoming College Freshman, From A Senior Who's Been There

3. Keep your room clean and organized

823
Isabel Hall

College move-in is quickly coming upon us. Three years ago, I moved into college for the first time, not knowing what to expect. Now, I'm heading into my final year of college. Here is some advice for incoming college freshman, from a senior who has been in your shoes.

1. You don't have to be best friends with your roommate

We all know the stereotypical college movie where roommates are best friends. In real life, this may not happen. You may end up becoming best friends with your roommate, but don't come in expecting this. Your personalities may not align or you may just be acquaintances. Even if you don't become friends, still respect each other and communicate about any problems that arise.

2. Get involved, but don't overbook yourself

It's important to get involved in at least one organization; it gives you something to do besides attending classes and can be a great thing to add to your resume. However, don't join too many clubs, as you won't have enough time and you'll spread yourself too thin.

3. Keep your room clean and organized

Being away from home isn't an excuse to let your room become disgusting. Clean on a regular basis, keep your belongings off the floor, and organize your belongings.

4. You don't have to bring all your belongings with you

Having an overabundance of stuff is a major factor in having a messy room. Dorm rooms are small; bring only what you need and what you can fit in your space. Leave the rest at home.

5. You may some trouble making friends, and this is okay

Despite the number of people you meet in college, you may have some trouble making solid friends. There is nothing wrong with this; many people struggle with making new friends. It may take a semester or two before you make any good friends.

6. You'll meet a lot of people, and they may not all stay in your life

First semester, you'll meet a lot of new people. Some may become close friends of yours, and others you may hang out with a few times before drifting apart. This happens to everyone, so don't worry if you find yourself growing apart with that person you met at orientation.

7. Explore your interests

Now is the time to explore different areas you're interested in, as there are many opportunities. Take classes that interest you, join an organization, or minor in something you want to learn more about.

8. Make school a priority

You may be tempted to get completely caught up in the social life of college, but don't forget that you are there to get your degree. Make school a priority: go to all your classes, don't procrastinate, and study hard. If you manage your time wisely, you will still have plenty of time for social outings.

9. Don't be afraid to ask for help

This applies to all aspects of college. If you are having trouble on an assignment or difficulty understanding a concept, ask your professor, go to a tutoring session, or attend office hours. If you feel like your mental health is not in a good state, utilize the resources your school offers and seek professional help.