My Adventure With My First Seeing Eye Dog

A perfect match.

174

It was a typical Friday afternoon. All of the day’s classes and errands had been completed. It was time to flop on the bed and relax when my phone vibrated. When my lock screen did not display a notification, I decided to check my email. I was expecting some announcement for an on-campus event or email from a professor, I was not expecting the first email in my inbox to be my acceptance letter from The Seeing Eye. I eagerly tapped on the message, and could not believe what I saw. I would be traveling to Morristown, N.J., on July 25th, but it was April. July was three months away. How much longer could I possibly walk with this annoying cane that always got caught on Rollins’ brick pathways or on someone’s chair leg while they were eating dinner?

I am not a morning person, but on the morning of July 27th, 2016, I could not have been more pleased to hear the wake-up call over the loudspeaker in my dorm room at The Seeing Eye. My typical morning laziness was not in any way going to hinder me from today’s activities, but time could not have moved more slowly. I had to go down for breakfast and attend one final class meeting that discussed things that often startle our dogs while they are working, but who could possibly pay attention to that when more exciting activities were on the day’s agenda?

Luckily, the meeting was brief, and I, along with my classmates, was sent back to my dorm room to anxiously await the arrival of my first Seeing Eye Dog. Time stood still as I listened to music and heard the occasional knock or call from an instructor announcing the arrival of a new companion to students occupying other dorm rooms on my hall, until finally, my instructor knocked on my door. I sprang to my door narrowly avoiding a collision with the sharp corner of my desk and flung the door open with anticipation: “Hi, Lauren; it's Barb! I have your dog! Sit on your bed and I will bring her to you.”

With my new, stiff leather leash in hand, I sat down as a young black lab named Kiara ran over to me. I was then instructed to attach my new leash to Kiara’s collar. My instructor detached her leash from the dog and gently closed the door behind her as she left. It was time for us to get to know each other.

After a few introductory FaceTime video calls to my family to introduce her, cuddles and play time, my instructor came back to show me how to “heel” Kiara to the dining room and position her under a table so she would not get stepped on. Lunchtime came and went, and it was finally time for us to load the vans to go into Morristown, N.J., for our first trip with our guide dogs.

If I could pick one word to describe my first trip into town with Kiara, it would be freedom. Kiara can do more things than my cane could ever do for me. As we traversed the city blocks of Morristown, my instructor pointed out the things that Kiara allowed me to effortlessly avoid. I was no longer forced to find an alternate route when my white cane encountered the trash can or car blocking a driveway, it was up to Kiara to pick the path of least resistance for both of us.

When Kiara stopped at the wheelchair ramp to indicate we were at our first street crossing, I was amazed. I could not believe we were walking as fast as we were, and I could not have been more confident as we crossed the street. It is still my responsibility to listen to traffic and determine if it is safe to cross, but if I give Kiara the “forward” command to tell her it is time to cross and the crossing is unsafe or a car cuts us off, she will stop and hold her ground so I do not get hit. Also, she crosses in the crosswalk and does not veer, which is difficult to accomplish solely using a white cane, which increases my confidence.

When I returned to my dorm at The Seeing Eye, I fed Kiara for the first time. She is probably the most ferocious eater you will ever meet, and I couldn’t believe that in just over one minute, her whole bowl was emptied and even though it was pushing 90 degrees outside, her water bowl was mostly untouched.

Later that evening, I was taught how to brush Kiara. It felt good knowing that I was giving her a reward for her hard work and strengthening our friendship at the same time. I let Kiara go outside to go to the bathroom for the last time that day and eagerly went back to my room. As I lay awake in my bed, with Kiara snoring softly in her bed beside mine, I contemplated the day’s events and the long three-and-a-half weeks of training that were ahead of us. It was then that I realized that I could not be more anxious to get on a plane destined for West Palm Beach to finally personally introduce Kiara to my family and friends at Rollins College, and that the two of us were truly a perfect match.