Advantages Of Being An American/Canadian Dual Citizen

Oh Canada, my second home and native land.

108
Bigstock

My mom was born and raised in Canada; it wasn't until she married my dad that she moved to America and became an alien in this country. My brothers and I were born in America so we're American citizens, but we also hold Canadian citizenship thanks to our mom. Being a dual citizen is pretty awesome, and here's just a few reasons why:

Having two nationalities

Don't get me wrong, I'm proud to be an American. I love my country and I will serve her until my final breath. But Canada also has my heart. Every attack on maple syrup and curling is a personal attack on me and I will stand on guard for thee. Ask me how many friendships I've considered ending over "eh" jokes.

Taking claim to their celebrities

Celine Dion? Yeah, she's from our country.

Nina Dobrev? I take claim.

Ryan Gosling and Ryan Reynolds? 100% ours.

Justin Bieber? Sure ain't made in the USA.

Sandra Oh? Yup, even Dr. Yang is from the true north.

Never being disappointed during the Olympics

Winter olympics never fail to be entertaining, especially when hockey comes down to Canada versus the United States. Who do I cheer for? The Blackhawks are my babies so I should cheer for America, but half of them are Canadian and play for Team Canada during the Olympics. No matter what, I'm always proud of my countries. (But secretly, I would totally choose Canada if I had to.)

Knowing more trivia answers than your friends

Do you know what the capital of Canada is? Oh, it's Toronto? Wrong. It's Ottawa.

Who reigns over Canada? The current prime minister, Justin Trudeau? Nope. As a figurehead, it's officially Queen Elizabeth.

Having a second home

I can't begin to describe how it feels crossing Ambassador Bridge and saying "I'm hoooomeeee." I may just know my way around a few towns in Canada better than I know my way around my hometown. Having favorite places to go and stores to shop at immediately makes me feel like I'm home.

No American understands how amazing our food is

Ketchup chips. Coffee Crisp. Butter tarts. Poutine. Fish & chips. Tim Horton's (is so much better than Dunkin' Donuts.) Ah Caramel. Smarties. Aero. Jos Louis.

Celebrating double the holidays

Who wouldn't want to celebrate two independence days?

Having a giant Thanksgiving dinner in October and November is always a plus.

No American understand Boxing Day either and it's getting old explaining it - it'll stay our little secret, okay, Canada?

Colorful Currency

Loonie = 1 dollar coin

Toonie = 2 dollar coin

You may make fun of us for our "stupid monopoly money," but who looks stupid when they have to shift through all their money because they can't immediately pick up a blue $5, a purple $10, or a green $20?

Having an incredible family

It really stinks not being able to grow up seeing both sides of my family constantly, but that makes every trip up to Canada all the more worth while. Because it was such a large amount of time between visits, I would grow an inch or two every time I saw my family. Every single time I walked into my grandparents' house my Papa would always say "Oh my goodness! A celebrity just walked into my house!" and he told me every day "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and you my dear, are beautiful." When I was little I would always take a nap lying on my Grandma's lap while we were watching t.v., and to this day I still do every time I go up to visit. It's the little things that make the trips the most incredible few days of the year. I also have wonderful cousins up there who I'm blessed to know - all I can say is thank God for Skype!

I'm more than blessed to be a Canadian citizen, and I wouldn't want it any other way.