10 Things Learned From Children

10 Lessons From Kids That Make Being An Adult A Little Bit Easier

We spend so much time raising our children and focusing on how we can teach them life's most important lessons. Sometimes we forget how much they can teach us in return.

144
https://unsplash.com/photos/o3tIY5pIork

Can you remember the way you viewed the world as a child?

It's no secret that children live differently than adults. As life passes by, we learn from our experiences and society conditions us to act a certain way. While maturation is natural, there's something to be said about the way children go through life. They are full of confidence and live courageously, untainted by the struggles life has yet to throw at them. Sometimes, it feels as though we spend our whole lives trying to return to the mindset we had when were young.

Here are some of the most important things we can learn from our younger selves and the children we encounter.

1. Don't be afraid to get messy.

Kids are always the first ones willing to cover themselves in mud or dive straight into the pool. From building sandcastles, to painting, to getting their hands covered in homemade slime, kids are never afraid to get dirty. Their sense of adventure is greater than their worry of staining their clothes or messing up their hair.

As adults, we can learn a lot from that. When's the last time you really let loose and dove right into the pool without worrying about getting your hair wet? Take some more time out of your busy life to do things that will make you happy.

2. Talk to strangers.

At the daycare I work at, I noticed that some kids will greet every single parent who walks through the door and share something about their day with them.

This got me thinking. There are people I see every single day whose names I don't know. I love meeting people, but I am not always quick to introduce myself and start conversation. Kids are willing to strike up a conversation with absolutely anyone about absolutely anything.

They can make conversation about any subject boldly and apologetically. While it's important to teach kids to keep an eye out for people who may be unsafe or make them feel uncomfortable, kids can teach us a lot about openness and communication in return.

3. Have the confidence to be your authentic self no matter who's watching. 

Too often, as we grow older, we hide the things that make us unique and try to conform to the world around us. Kids are not afraid to show their true colors because they don't have society's expectations of "normal" brainwashed into their minds.

Imagine how much more authentic our lives would be if we were able to resort back to the level of confidence we had as children.

4. Tell the truth.

Kids are always the first ones to blurt out the truth, whether the situation calls for it or not. Every day, we have the choice to be truthful. We can be honest with ourselves and those around us, or we can lie. When lying is the easier option, it's hard to remember the importance of the truth.

Telling the truth brings peace of mind, earns respect, and proves character.

5. Express yourself freely.

Suppressing emotions is unhealthy and can lead to bottled up feelings. When you keep everything inside, it's only a matter of time before it bursts and you are overcome with sadness. It can be hard to express the things that matter, but if you do, you'll have a clearer head.

Kids aren't afraid to cry. While we shouldn't cry at every minor inconvenience, there are times when we should be more outward about our feelings and think of them as part of who we are instead of something to be ashamed of.

6. Live in the moment.

Kids never dwell on the past or fear for the future.

They focus on the activity at hand and live life in the moment. They put their heart and soul into each second and view each day as a fresh beginning. While it's easier said than done, living in the present is one of the best things we can learn from the kids around us.

7. Your imagination is limitless.

Children do not have preconceived notions of how things should look or be.

They aren't attached to labels and they are more likely to think creatively. Our current school system trains kids to think in a certain way rather than teaching them how to think for themselves. This leads to people shutting off their imagination in adulthood and only focusing on the facts and figures in life.

We must never lose sight of our imagination and the things that make us human.

8. Get excited about the little things.

If you've been around kids, you know that they get excited over the littlest things.

Whether it's a new toy, snack, or exciting news, kids are easily excitable. Excitement allows us to feel true happiness and fulfillment. Being excitable makes us more fun to be around, and more importantly, it brings us to life.

9. Forgive.

Kids can teach us a lot about forgiveness. Usually, when kids apologize to one another, they just hug it out and everything is settled. A simple "I'm sorry" can go a long way.

10. Rest when you need it.

When did decide to stop scheduling daily naps? When life gets crazy, it seems like we're constantly working and there isn't enough time in the day for socialization, sleep, and other necessities. Every once in awhile, we need to take some time for ourselves and catch up on some much needed rest.