14 Adorable Yet Affordable Valentine's Day Date Ideas

Don't let finances get in the way.

108
Collider

It's that time of year that causes every girlfriend to dance with glee, and every boyfriend's wallet to cringe in horror! Valentine's Day is just around the corner, and what better way to celebrate then with these 14 adorable date ideas that will fill your heart without hurting your wallet.

1. Surprise romantic home cooked meal.

Nothing beats a heart-felt homemade cooked meal from that special someone. Even if that homemade meal consists of a box of Kraft Mac'n'cheese and a toasted pop-tart, it's the thought and effort that one puts into preparing a meal that counts.

Now just some housekeeping advice: if you are going to prepare a tragic meal that consists only of a box of Kraft Mac'n'cheese and a toasted pop-tart then it better be prepared in the most elegant and romantic freaking way possible. Throw in a nice table cloth, light some candles, and dress up a little. I'm just saying, it might help.

2. Fort movie marathon.

Lock the doors, turn off your phones, and grab every pillow and blanket that the eye can see. Building a fort together is a milestone in every relationship, and what better day to do it then Valentine's Day? I suggest that you grab the ice cream and popcorn and turn on those romcoms.

3. Scavenger hunt for memories.

How cute would it be if you and your love bug went on a scavenger hunt to the places where you both shared some of your precious memories? Creating a list with phrases such as, "go to the place where we shared our first kiss," or "go to the place where you walked into a pole on our second date" and leaving a little gift/note at each location will definitely win you the award for most romantic partner.

4. Picnic under the stars.

Need I say more? There's something about being under the stars with the one you love and surrounded by all your favorite foods that hinders the soul, don't you think?

5. Goofy game night.

Find the goofiest, funniest games you can find and have a night full laughter. Laughter is food for the soul, and when it's shared between you and the one you love, there is no greater satisfaction. Well, other then the satisfaction you get from the love of God, but you know what I mean!

6. "What I Love About You" rap battle.

Set the timer for 10 minutes, go into different parts of the apartment, and come back to blow your love one away with some fire rhymes.

7. Go hiking.

Look up some beautiful trails near you and go hiking. Nature is beautiful, your loved one is beautiful, and Valentine's Day deserves to be spent with both of them! Try playing eye spy or print up a scavenger hunt to do while on the trail. You could also use this time to have some really meaningful deep conversation about life, God, or anything!

8. Chopped Valentine's Day challenge.

Think of three ingredients that are Valentine's Day themed, and set your timer for 30 minutes. Having a fun, clumsy, and high-intensity cooking challenge in the same kitchen is sure to bring out some gut-wrenching giggles!

9. Portrait drawing contest.

Sit across from each other and draw a portrait of each other. It can be goofy, weird, or like Picasso himself was born again! Either way, it would be a wonderful experience that you and your partner could keep forever.

10. See something new.

Get out a map, pick a spot where neither of you have been, get in the car and drive. Seeing new and different things with the one you love is a wonderful tactic in making new memories that are sure to last.

11. Recreate your favorite movie dance scene.

Make sure to get this one on video. Pick out your favorite movie scene, and dance your little love-filled hearts out. My personal favorite is the ballroom dance scene from Beauty and the Beast. Trust me, this is sure to be one of the best memories you two could create.

12. Take a trip down memory lane.

Light some candles, dim the lights, and just talk. Reminisce on all the ridiculous, hilarious, loving, and amazing memories you both have shared together in your relationship. It's surprising how many wonderful memories you might not have thought about in years, so take this time and relive them together.

13. Private lip sync battle.

Oh this one...this one is a keeper! Pick as many ridiculously funny songs as you can and get ready to make your debut. If you're feeling pretty serious, grab some props, costumes, and an incredibly awkward dance number.

14. Dessert eating contest.

Who really wears the pants in your relationship? There's no better way of testing this question then engaging in an indulging dessert eating contest face to face with your partner. Of course you have to do it face to face because this makes room for laughter and food-spit takes! Just be sure to not wear your nice clothes.

Valentine's Day is a wonderful opportunity for you and your partner to come closer as a couple. Don't let something as silly as finances get in the way of what could be the best Valentine's Day ever!