Adele's Weight Loss Doesn't Define Her, Just Like Mine Doesn't Define Me

No one woman's worth is found in the number on a scale.

278

Adele has lost 40 pounds in the last year. Her transformation is so awesome and it truly warms my heart to see her so happy.

But it is troublesome to see her earn all this praise BECAUSE of the weight loss.

As someone who has struggled with weight and body image, it's easy to feed off the compliments of "Oh, you look so good!" when you know the weight loss might have not stemmed from a healthy place.

Often, my entire mood is defined by the number I see on the scale. But with every pound I lose, I am never satisfied and can always find something to pick at.

It is sad to see people just now praise Adele — she's always been amazing.

I believe she lost the weight for personal reasons, and that she is eating healthy and exercising, which makes me happy for her.

Weight loss can bring a new sense of meaning and start a new chapter in life, which I think she needs after the end of her relationship.

It's just made me think about my own weight loss journey and if I am doing it for the right reasons.

I've lost around 35 pounds from when I was a senior in high school to where I am now. When I look back at pictures of myself from back then, I am filled with embarrassment, even though I am happy in the picture and didn't have a problem with my body at the time. When I got to college, I began to compare myself to everybody, and if someone was skinnier than me I would fixate on my own weight for days on end.

It didn't help this is when I started dating and pretty soon all my validation came from what guys thought of me.

All in all, none of us are defined by our weight, even if the media makes it seem like the number on the scale holds our worth.

From Your Site Articles