Week 4 Of Quarantine In The U.S.: The Only Thing That Matters Is Internet Dogs

Quarantine Checkup Week 4: Internet Dogs Are The Most Important People

An Odyssey panel discussion about all things quarantine.

482

Thanks to coronavirus (COVID-19), most of the United States has gone into its own version of quarantine. While no one loves this new way of life we're adjusting to, it's the necessity that will eventually help us fling open our front doors and frolic freely once again! Premature thinking? Maybe. But while we're in the midst of this quarantine time, we're chatting about the most terrifying, the funniest, and the weirdest thing that quarantine has forced us into recently.

What's the most annoying thing to happen to you this week? 

Dillon — Right now, as I type, the wind is gusting through a half-way built high rise across the street and it sounds like an old train conductor's whistle. It's driving me, my roommate, and the dog up the wall.

Neha — Nobody wanted to watch "Little Women" with me for the fourth time.

Alissa — I downloaded a "Jeopardy!" background for my Zoom calls, but you could only really see the corners of it on my screen. Hey, technology, let me live.

Tyler — The dog barking at my neighbor's apartment at 11 p.m. at night because the neighbor was NOT quarantined and hanging out at their friend's apartment.

Lil — Do you know you still have to do laundry when you aren't going anywhere? WHY? Why are clothes still requiring a wash when they have literally just been sat in!? Grinds my gears.

What brought you the most joy this week? 

Dillon — My roommate and I have been watching the movies from the Marvel cinematic universe in chronological order and we just finished "Avengers: Endgame" last night. For those wondering, that's 59 hours of Marvel movies.

Neha — Starting a new job, "meeting" so many kind people there, and applying embarrassing Instagram filters to my dad while napping.

Alissa — A bunch of celebrities held a virtual Seder last weekend, and I was going to tell you my favorite part but I truly can't decide. Dan Levy making his own seder plate and Billy Porter singing "Go Down Moses" are top contenders, though. Ugh, but then there's Cynthia Erivo and Shoshana Bean singing "When You Believe" with Stephen Schwartz on piano and I was not well.

Tyler — My girlfriend and I have been doing meditation practices together and that's been really special and beautiful.

Lil — Listening to the new Sam Hunt album on a very long walk to say hello to the neighbor cows. And my family played Dutch Blitz, which is a party.

What social media outlet are you spending the most time on? 

Dillon — Probably a tie between Instagram and YouTube. On IG, I waste countless hours scrolling through nothing. On YouTube, I'm learning new songs on the guitar.

Neha — Definitely Instagram.

Alissa — IDK, which one has the most pictures of dogs?

Tyler — Twitter, hands down.

Lil — Pinterest and Instagram.

How many ZOOM/FaceTime calls did you have this week? 

Dillon — Like, 16? 17? IDK. I've stopped noticing that my only avenue for human connection is through a video call.

Neha — 132.

Alissa — The limit does not — and I can't stress this enough — exist.

Tyler — Honestly, not that many. I think I have had one FaceTime call this week.

Lil — Man, at least one a day. I am virtually partied out.

What has been the best internet dog you've seen this week? 

Dillon —@quincithecorgi shaking her butt by the pool.

Neha —@dougthepug

Alissa — Making me choose one internet dog is like waiting for rain in a drought —useless and disappointing. So, I just follow @thedogist instead.

Tyler —Olive the California Vizsla is LIFE.

Lil — She's not ~technically~ an internet doggo, but this is my sweet pal Mandy. Also known as The Goodest.

What have you been bingeing this week? 

Dillon — I. Am. *exhales* Iron Man. *Snaps fingers*

Neha — Every Bollywood movie from the '90s.

Alissa — I'm watching "The Bonfire of Destiny" on Netflix because apparently I like watching fictitious tragedy while simultaneously living through it. Who said bingeing TV wasn't poetic?

Tyler — "Twin Peaks" for the second time, and I just started "Community" again.

Lil — "Little Fires Everywhere" because Reese and Kerry! And "NCIS," duh.

What's the best snack you've had this week? 

Dillon — Turkish figs.

Neha — Sweet: vegan, gluten-free fudgy banana chocolate muffins. Salty: An Indian corn snack that's like hot Cheetos but 100 times better and healthier!

Alissa — The line between snack and meal has never been so blurred, TBH.

Tyler — Chester's Hot Fries.

Lil — Great Harvest's dinner rolls. Lots of butter. Raspberry jam. YUMMO.

What's the most bizarre thing you've heard this week? 

Dillon — Remember that scene in "Avengers: Endgame" when Captain America mentions that he saw a pod of whales in the Hudson River in New York City five years after Thanos snapped away half of all life in the universe? No? Anyway. It reminded me of how nature is starting to reclaim society after a month of quarantine during this pandemic. Did you hear about the water in Venice? It's clear! You can see the fish! And, while grim, the parallels of tragedy with small glimmers of hope between real life and the Marvel cinematic universe really hit me in the feels last night.

Neha — A friend told me about a date he went on (pre-quarantine) during which his date fell asleep at dinner. When he woke her up, she started crying and got mad at him for interrupting nap time.

Alissa — MLB is considering realignment for this season, and I'm sitting here wondering who's the guy that said, "let's call them the grapefruit and cactus leagues," and everyone else was just... OK with that? (In any event, go grapefruit north!)

Tyler — The most bizarre thing I've heard had to be hearing a group of people hanging out in the hallway, laughing and having a good time. It was honestly shocking.

Lil — So many people are cutting their own hair and it has yet to become a good idea. Stop it! You can let it grow out a little bit! I promise!

Want to be a part of this panel in future weeks? Want to host a panel of your own? Email lily.moe@theodysseyonline.com for more information!

As an Amazon Affiliate partner, Odyssey may earn a portion of qualifying sales.