I've Never Been An Addict, But I'm The Girl Who's Seen What Addiction Can Do To A Relationship

It doesn't just effect the person directly connected to the substance.

2067

This article is not being written by an addiction counselor or by anybody of any authority to properly diagnose someone with an addiction.

Diagnose, because it is a disease.

No this is being written by a girl who has seen firsthand what addiction can do to a family and a relationship. A girl who also does her research. So regardless of whether you agree with what I have to say, maybe you will benefit from viewing the multitude of organizational websites ran by addiction specialists.

For those small-minded few of you that like to claim that addiction is a choice, let me ask you this: "Do you honestly believe that someone would consciously and willingly pick a substance over a relationship with their loved ones? A stable home? A steady job?An upstanding reputation?"

No of course not.

But here's the thing about addiction: No one thinks that it could happen to them. No one goes to a party and thinks to themselves: "huh, I think I'm going to test out a gateway drug and gradually become tolerant to stronger and higher doses of various substances!"Sounds like my idea of a great life plan!"

That's not exactly a rallying cry that I've ever heard before.

No one thinks that they are going to become an alcoholic. There's nothing wrong with having a few drinks with friends every now and then. But then you start drinking more at parties and you're noticing that it takes way more than it used to give you that buzz to make you feel confident. Your friends get tired of always having to take care of a sloppy mess every tie you go out, so before you know it: you're drinking alone. And you're drinking to drown out all of those pesky regrets and the should have, would haves, and to lates. Then you wake up one day with the contractually obligated hangover and realize that you're late to work. oops. Before you know it you have managed to royally screw the life you once knew by isolating yourself from the world.

That one drink is no longer a casual thing, it's your life. You're now dependent on it because you have nothing else.

You think back to your childhood memories of your dad always having a scotch with dinner, and with a round of golf, and having a flask at all of your little league games. You think to yourself: 'but how could I be an alcoholic, I mean he's not. He went to work every day, went to your games, and drove you to school."

Addiction is a vicious cycle, sometimes the only thing that skips a generation is functionality. "Children who have parent(s) that have struggled with addiction are eight times more likely to develop an addiction"-https://addictionsandrecovery.org/is-addiction-a-d...

So while your friends may be able to drink casually without it consuming their daily lives: that may be harder for you if you are genetically predisposed to addiction.

Different scenario

You are suffering from some kind of annoying pain. Maybe it's your back or your neck. You go to the doctor and the doctor prescribes you a heavy painkiller. You're hesitant, but you fill it at the CVS down the road, because you have to go back to work so that you can get by. This person went to medical school for 8+ years, they have a degree, western medicine is supposedly the most advanced in the world. Why wouldn't you trust their opinion outright? Little do you know that doctor was pushing that prescription, because they are receiving a significant cut from that profit. Despite what they tell you: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/03/...

That painkiller and possible start to your struggle for control is paying for a Porsche.

You take the pill for a few weeks, and admittedly you're feeling much better!

But, you continue taking the pill "just to be safe."

A few months go by and your prescription is empty, at this point your neck no longer hurts, but you refill it anyways.

Because you "like the way it makes you feel." It makes you a more efficient and energetic person.

For some reason you lose your job, maybe you get laid off. So there is a temporary lapse in insurance, You notice that this prescription is ridiculously expensive, so much so that you can no longer afford it. But your body has grown accustomed to this substance so now its pissed at you. This medication that was prescribed to you by a legal professional has now taken over every aspect of your daily life. You wake up in the morning and go to bed in the evening needing it. This substance is no longer just something that takes the edge off, it's no longer something you simply want.

In fact, you probably hate it at this point for paralyzing you to the point of no return. Nothing else matters, not your job, your family, or friends.

Everyone around you is telling you to just quit and that if you really loved them that you would just be able to quit cold- turkey. However, this is never a good idea as quitting without medical assistance such as detox or opiate replacement therapy can be very dangerous. -http://www.teen-drug-abuse.org/12-steps/the-danger...

If you or someone you love suffer from addiction I strongly encourage you to seek help. Because you are worth a second chance and your life is much too precious to throw away. Your mom, sister, brother, cousin, godmother, best friend, aunt, uncle, and heck maybe even the mailman: miss you. Let them back in and allow for the healing process to start.

Resources for help with Addiction:

- https://americanaddictioncenters.org/addiction-hel...

-https://www.thewatershed.com/lp/drug-rehab-2-a/?tw...(keyword)&utm_term=(utm_term)&utm_campaign=(utm_campaign)&msclkid=7f96ac5249311396d83ff7d554f8d299&utm_content=Drug%20Addiction%20Treatment%20-%20program

-https://www.recovery.org/topics/the-addiction-reco...

I believe in you. You are strong, and you can overcome this.

I hope you have a beautiful life.