12 Things You Forgot To Add To Your College Packing List
Travel

You're move-in-day packing list might look finished, but I guarantee you forgot at least half of these.

157
https://www.pexels.com/photo/person-pointing-at-black-and-gray-film-camera-near-macbook-pro-1051075/
Photo by Element5 Digital from Pexels

Moving into college can be stressful. Of course you are planning room decor and cute bedding, and everything else you can just get when you're down there! In some cases that is true, but there are definitely some items you will be thankful you got before your crazy first semester starts. Here's a list for you!

1. Throw blanket

Buy it on Amazon.

This will come in handy for many reasons. Going on random adventures with your friends it's always nice to bring a throw blanket in your car to sit on or keep warm with. But in more realistic terms, sometimes you're not going to want to mess up the bed you just slaved to make all by yourself but you are definitely going to want to take a nap. Snuggly throw blankets. all. day.

2. Rain Jacket

Buy it on Amazon.

On campus, rain will conveniently come right when you have to leave your dorm. Whether you have to run to class or just to the gym, you will be miserable walking through the rain UNLESS you came prepared and purchased a rain jacket! Get this now and skip out on looking like an idiot sprinting across campus with your backpack held over your head. Thank me later!

3. Fan

Buy it on Amazon.

The air in your tiny dorm room can feel so stale sometimes. A mini fan can serve many purposes! It helps keep your space cool if your roommate decides to turn the thermostat all the way up because they were cold, or the white noise can help you go to sleep at night.

4. Hangers

Buy them on Amazon.

You pack your clothes all nice and organized, get to your dorm and realize you have no way of hanging your clothes in that tiny closet! It's one of those things you've never been used to not having, so add it to your shopping list and don't forget them! An extra pro tip: buy the felt ones. You will be hanging a lot of your clothes because of lack of drawer space and there is nothing worse than having shirts always slip off of those crappy plastic hangers.

5. Re-usable cups

Buy them on Amazon.

This is another item you're probably always used to having in your house. It's not something you would think you would ever have to buy for yourself, but you will miss them if you don't! With mugs, water bottles, cups, you'll be saving the environment and your wallet.

6. Medicine

Buy it on Amazon.

Advil, NyQuil, DayQuil, Claritin. DO NOT wait until you're sick to buy medicine! The last thing you're going to want to do is leave your bed, drive to the drugstore and buy medicine. You will most likely end up begging a friend to go for you and venmoing them. Don't fall for it, buy them now.

7. Cleaning supplies

Buy them on Amazon.

Dish soap, Clorox wipes, Swiffer, mini vacuum. All of these are SO helpful. You don't realize how many messes will happen in your dorm. This one small room in your entire living space. You eat, sleep, make coffee, study and hang out in one space. Make sure you're prepared to clean up small accidents! My favorite is the mini vacuum because I'm always spilling things.

8. Ice cube tray

Buy it on Amazon.

Don't forget you're now living out of a mini-fridge so... no ice maker! Again, probably not something you're used to. If you're anything like me, you will miss ice! So buy a mini-fridge with a good freezer and don't forget to bring ice cube trays.

9. Hammock

Buy it on Amazon.

This seems so unnecessary, but I wanted to make sure to emphasize how college is an experience. Try your best to make the most of every moment! A great way to make any simple thing more fun is with a portable hammock (aka an "eno"). You can study in one of these, nap, hang out with friends, and the best part is it can go wherever! I've seen people use these on hikes, camping, at the beach, or even in their dorm. Go make some adventures and don't forget your eno!

10. Cutting board

Buy it on Amazon.

Especially if you're trying to eat healthily, a cutting board is a must. Cutting fruit is basically impossible without it. It's great to have a clean space to prepare food on, I have mine on top of my fridge and it's like a mini kitchen table! I know a lot of people don't think about bringing this to college with them because I had people asking to borrow mine almost every day.

11. Rug

Buy it on Amazon.

More likely than not, your floor in your dorm will be tile, wood, or some gross looking scratchy rug. My dorm floor was tile, so I remember stepping onto a cold floor in the morning and hating my life. A cute floor rug is a must because it will add character to your room, make it a comfy space and gives people more room to hang out.

12. Extension cords

Buy it on Amazon.

You will most likely only have access to one or two outlets in your room, but you need a way to plug in your chargers, microwave, coffee pot, fridge, TV, lights and potentially so much more. The best thing to do is to invest in some HIGH-QUALITY extension cords. This gives you way more options when trying to arrange your electronics and the high-quality cords will keep you safe from any electrical accidents.

At the end of the day, college is a huge game of trial and error. You are doing the best you can to make a tiny square room feel like home! That can result in a lot of good ideas, and a lot of fails. I hope this gave you an idea of how to make your move in process a little easier, and maybe saved you a trip to target. Always remember to go with the flow, college is an adventure so enjoy the ride while you're on it.

Please note that all items are in stock as of the time of publication. As an Amazon Associate, Odyssey may earn a portion of qualifying sales.