College bedroom ideas

4 Essential Things To Add To Your College Bedroom To Make It Feel More Like Home

These four items add a special touch to your space!

357
Laura Hayes

While leaving your parents and embarking on your independent journey without them is not everyone's idea of excitement; Creating a space that reflects you, from scratch, can be. The summer following my departure from the college dorm life, I was ecstatic to coordinate pieces and show off one of my hidden passions, decorating. Not everyone is going to enjoy decorating like I do, but adding pieces to your room can impact just how you feel about it.

1. Plants

Laura Hayes

I think that most people can agree that adding a little green to your room can lift your spirit. Not only are they inviting and beautiful, they have health benefits as well. They put off oxygen which is fantastic (we need O2 to live, if you did not know ;)). Additionally, they innately filter out the air, creating a healthier environment. I currently have two in my room, and I am obsessed with them. I got both of my plants from (www.lowes.com), and potted them to coordinate with my personal style. Pictured below is a Yucca Cane Plant and a Jade plant. I bought my small white pot from (www.michaels.com), and a basket from (www.worldmarket.com) in which I turned into a pot.

2. Candles.

Laura Hayes

There is nothing that feels more like home than walking into a room and being embraced with the scent your mom always had burning in your house throughout your childhood. I adore buying Yankee Candles and burning them, especially in the fall! Spiced pumpkin, harvest, and pear and spice are some of my favorites. Get some of these, I swear you will not regret it!

3. Floor Mirrors.

Laura Hayes

Not only do floor mirrors capture your attention immediately when entering a space, they are extremely functional. My roommates and I always take full advantage of my floor mirror as it tends to really sassy pictures before going out. It is great being able to visualize my outfit before leaving the house to go anywhere as well. Personally, my floor mirror makes my room feel immensely larger because it reflects the background, opening it up and making it roomier. Surrounding the exterior of the mirror with lights makes gives off the 70's lighted dressing room look, which brings me to my fourth and final favorite room decor item.

4. Lights are last, but not least!

Laura Hayes

I have got to say this one is my favorite. When I am laying back, relaxing, and browsing on Pinterest, or streaming my current favorite Netflix show, I enjoy the warm feeling of a dim lighted area. Lights come in so many different shapes and forms, and there is a style that anyone can appreciate. I chose two different types of lights to fill my space. Pictured above I wanted some very small, battery powered ones to bring attention to my tassels. As well as a different battery powered light, including small glass bulbs.

The best thing about these items is they were fairly inexpensive, and take little time to set up.I have found that with a little planning that optimizing my space was right up my alley! It was fairly simple to put these pieces together. I planned through my Pinterest, and brought it all together on move in day! With a little time and effort, you can have the space that you have always dreamed of!