How to Ace Beer Bike

How to Ace Beer Bike

Five tips for newbies and veterans alike.

6
How to Ace Beer Bike
p-killa

As you may have noticed, it is the time of year when Rice University students all change their Facebook profile photos to images of themselves drenched in water and toting water balloons, or biking feverishly wearing their residential college's colors. This can mean only one thing: Beer Bike is coming. If you have never experienced the glorious celebration that is Beer Bike, or you have and are looking for a way to make this year better than the last, here are some quick tips to make sure you are fully prepared for the best day of the year.

1. Sleep like it's the night before an exam... whatever that means to you.

Beer Bike morning starts bright and early. Since this will likely be the earliest wake-up call you will experience all semester, make sure your body is ready. Some colleges prefer to party all through the night and await the rising sun like warriors. You can do that, too — just maybe spend a good amount of time in bed the day before. If not, there's always Sunday to recover.

2. All waterproof everything.

The Beer Bike water balloon fight is a battle of epic proportions. This also means there are epic amounts of water. Find a secure way to tote your keys and ID (and your phone, if you dare) to Founder's Court for the throw-down. Again, I emphasize secure. Don't trust the Beer Bike version of you to handle your belongings responsibly. Plan ahead.

3. Hydrate.

Trust me, this is a major key. Hydration is what will determine whether you wake up after your post-Beer Bike nap to find yourself ready for Saturday dinner or late for Monday morning class. Water will be everywhere. Take advantage of it. Your liver will thank you.

4. Nap and rally.

There will be plenty of time to sneak away and take a quick recharge before continuing on with the festivities. It can be hard to realize that even though it is only 11 a.m., you have been up and running around for about seven hours. You might have to wash the body paint out of your sheets afterward, but it will be worth it.

5. Make it to the track!

I know, it's tough. Getting all the way to Greenbriar after a morning filled with dancing and water balloon-throwing is probably the most physically challenging thing you will do all semester. But the races are what Beer Bike is really (supposed to be) about! The tradition of Beer Bike is rich in history and is part of what makes Rice unique. Maybe your college cares too much about the race (Will Rice) or not at all (Sid Rich), but seeing every college cheering on their bikers and chuggers is an experience like no other. Godspeed, and remember: As William Marsh Rice probably said, "To beer is to bike."