Accepting The Stress In Your Life

Accepting The Stress In Your Life

I recently did an interview with QOL creator and longtime friend, Grant Carter... here's what I had to say.

94
Accepting The Stress In Your Life
Annika Soderfelt

"I keep signing up to do stuff, because I feel bored when I am not doing something constantly. Am I stressed out all the time? Yep.

My dad once said I could do anything I want, but not everything I want. That was hard to hear, because I knew it was true. It all came to a head this last Fall, and I had to physically order out my passions, literally write them out to know what activities could stay and which couldn't. So, this semester I have refocused myself, and essentially reorganized my life. I just had to face the fact that if college is supposed to be the best four years, there is no way I could enjoy them when I am drowning in priorities. It speaks to the importance of navigating life based on people and passions you know you really care about.

Everyone is everything at Villanova, and I figure you get out of everything what you put in. So being extra and overly involved gets a lot out of it for me. When I started at Villanova, it was immediately my goal to somehow meet and know every person in my class, somehow. I guess my involvement is pushing me towards that. I am happy that I put myself out there, although sometimes there is a hectic level of stress. But no matter how exhausted I get, I can't really complain because I did it to myself, and I have no one else to blame for my mess. Relationships keep me sane, just as they always have.

I want to get my doctorate in occupational therapy, because I want to do special ed therapy. I grew going to all my brothers' therapists with him, and I saw from an early age what a difference they can make. I enjoy the hands-on of teaching kids how to tie a shoe, hold a pencil, etc. that turn into more adult skills later in their lives. I realized early on that's the path I wanted to go down.

So here I am, going down that pre-med track. I will end up going to another four years of school after this. There are currently only 25 OT accredited doctoral programs in the US, so as opposed to my college decision where I felt like I had a million options. I'll probably choose purely based on where I am accepted. My slim chances terrify me."