An Open Letter to Accepting Life Changes

Don’t allow your emotions to let you feel alone and ostracized. Remember, transitions are a normal and necessary part of life.

1478
Photo by SOULSANA on Unsplash

This blog is meant to serve as a reflection of my last four years as a student at the University of NC at Greensboro (aka, the “G”). Also, as an open space to pour out my current feelings now that “adulting” has settled in. My hope is that five or more years down the road I can visit this blog and see how uncertain I felt about what is just another step toward my fate.

person in black academic gown Photo by Sir Manuel on Unsplash

I’m starting a new educational journey. I’m excited. I’m nervous. I’m second-guessing my choices - you know, the “norm” when you make a major life change.

Emotional Recap:

• I graduated with the highest honors, but I still have an inkling of imposter syndrome that won’t go away (and it likely never will).
  • I devoted my care and support to girls I spent so many caf meals with, that I never imagined we’d barely have time for even a phone call post-grad.
  • I work a job I love, but I’m mentally exhausted from years of working in overdrive to accomplish my goals.

In the months following my graduation in May 2022, my life changed drastically. The days bleed together in the worse of ways, but I trudge through.

“Adulting” has truly settled in. But, I’m hopeful. Perhaps you have also endured major life changes? I want to let you know, that’s OKAY and it’s going to be OKAY. Just inhale, exhale, drink plenty of water, keep your hands on the wheel, and pray. You will succeed. WE will succeed.

I believe nothing ever truly comes to an end - they merely change. My days at the G aren’t over, because I will always revisit these memories: meeting my best friend at orientation; developing my love for research; learning new ways of life while abroad; meeting my love; serving as my class’s speaker at graduation. You see, this is change; growth. Not the end.

Writing this blog has been therapeutic. In extending a branch of understanding for you to grasp to, I have also worked towards normalizing my own feelings.

To me and those I will forever love, thank you. To young me, thank you for never giving up. To future me, thank you for what you’ll endure. To my family and mentors, thank you for your prayers, faith, and love. To my peers and friends, thank you for those laughs and tears of understanding when I needed them most.

Again, I’m nervous. I don’t know the future (nor do I want to - I’m not Raven Baxter!). But, faith is all we ever have, right?

This will likely be my last blog on the Odyssey, but this will not be the end. Remember, this is merely a change.

black and white heart print textile Photo by Kelly Sikkema on Unsplash

Take care

- Caraline, UNCG’ 22 <3