Acceptance and Inclusion of Children with Disabilities

A smile is a smile, a laugh a laugh, and a heart a heart.

188

We are all human beings. We are each unique individuals with different ideals, genes, and so forth. Children who are born with disabilities whether those be physical, mental, or behavioral all deserve to be treated just like anyone else. Parents are constantly pleading with others to accept their child just as they would any other. Children can tell when they are being treated differently from another child. In some circumstances, yes, we should make slight alterations to things to ensure the child's safety and understanding. However, all any child wants is to be treated just like their friends.

A child with Down Syndrome, ADHD, ADD, Cerebral Palsy, and so many other disabilities all want one thing; to fit in. Stares, comments, and being excluded by not only other children but by parents and other adults is something many children with disabilities face. For instance my godson, who suffers from a severe sensory disorder, requires patience, because he is no different from any other child. He loves to play at the park, go swimming, love on animals, and so on.

Many adults and children often feel uncomfortable or unsure of others with disabilities because they aren't sure how to treat said individuals. I will be 100% honest in saying I am at fault in this exact problem we are discussing. No one is perfect and everyone has or will make mistakes. We are all human, we are all equal, and we should all be treated that way. Speaking from personal experience, I have found that I get anxious and worked up when around anyone with a visible disability. I also at times find myself to be impatient with those who have disabilities that aren't visible. These children, human beings, are NOT their disease or disability. These medical terms that they are labeled with do not define who they are or what they can achieve. So here I say, STOP! Don't treat anyone who has a disability or disease as inferior. We are all equals. We are all unique in our own awesome and loving way!

Many parents in my personal parenting groups are constantly asking questions like: Why can't you accept my child for who he/she is instead of by the medical terms they have been labeled with?, Why are you treating my child different from yours?, What makes you uncomfortable?, Why don't you ask me (the parent) what you can do to help?. These are constant questions that go unanswered for so many parents and children. Some answers you will find yourself reaching at probably look something like: "I just don't know if I am sure about your child.", "I am uncomfortable/anxious/unsure about being near the child.", "I don't know what the disability/disease actually means or consists of.", "I don't know how to offer help when I don't understand myself." Well I am here to tell you that you may know just as much as Joe Schmo on the street corner but in the end isn't the intention what matters? Isn't reaching out and even just offering support to a fellow parent important? Sometimes as parents we need support just as these wonderful children need to be included. If you don't know or you don't understand do not hesitate to reach out and ask questions, do research, read a book/article/newspaper even, and talk to the parent.

Education wise we find that students who have diseases or disabilities are treated entirely different from the rest of the student body. Some schools and child care facilities refuse to even accept many of these children simply because they are unsure or are unable to provide the proper care. (Note: in many states omitting a child from the opportunity of education and child care due to a disability or disease is illegal!) When I was in high school (7 years ago) we had a special education program for the students who struggled more in a regular class than one taken at a slower pace. We had a student in my math class every semester, lets call him Scott, that was so kind and loving but always seemed a little "odd" to me. At the time I didn't know he had a disability that impacted him physically, but intellectually as well. Scott always would ask me on dates, and I being "miss priss" always turned him down, but he was so smart and funny! Scott constantly had a huge smile on his face and was always helpful when it came to anything! Scott needed multiple methods of problem solving taught to him in order for him to process the math problems in his mind. But he was not in any other "regular" classes aside from math. Scott remained with the other students in Special Education for the rest of his classes, but during lunch he was Mr. Popular! Everyone loved Scott and he was even Homecoming King our Junior year (gosh I feel old now).

Looking back into my childhood, keep in mind I am 25, I may have been uncomfortable or uncertain around other kids (particularly the ones with disabilities/diseases) but I never excluded them. I've always been the popular girl who is friends with anyone and everyone! Sadly looking at society today it's almost taught to children to ostracize those who are different. But remember and always be conscientious that we are all human beings and we are all equal, therefore everyone should be treated as such. So the next time you are out on the playground with your kids and there is a child being ignored, encourage your child to include them. Teach your children that children with special needs aren't to be treated like strangers or like the plague, include them. Show your children that you are open and loving always. As a parent reach out to the parent of the child being left out, you don't know what they are going through. Inclusion is key in our children's' lives and it all begins with us (parents, guardians, teachers, caretakers).

By beginning with us, that starts with society. There are so many things that society can do to help include children with disabilities. It is important to start somewhere and make the difference for children everywhere. So what as a society can we do to ensure children with disabilities are being included? For starters we can accept them individually, as a human, an equal, and a friend. Once we do that, including them in our children's birthday parties and events. Inviting children with disabilities to join in on extracurricular activities not just at school but in the community as well. Teaching our children to pick those who are typically left out first when choosing their teams for recess games. I can never say it enough that children with disabilities are no different from you and I simply because something is different. We are each unique and have many difference. As a society it is imperative that we teach our children by setting an example. In the situation that your child may be trying to include a child who is different or suffers from a disability don't grab them and take them away. Ask to meet their new friend, inquire with the child's parent about a play date, and even take the time stop judging a child you haven't even met. Children with disabilities are beautiful gifts from above and should be treated that way.

From this article I hope you take that children from all sorts of situations, including disabilities, are all unique and equal to us all. Extra chromosomes, "deformities" (I hate this word because it feels so mean), or even mobility aids and assistants do not make them any less important to our society. Parents and even those who aren't parents, include those who are different and stop making those who are different feel insecure and unwanted. You are what makes the difference.