Acai All The Hype

Acai All The Hype

The NEW froyo.

34
kirrahamby.tumblr.com

If you're a Tumblr fanatic like myself, then you are probably familiar with an açaí bowl. If you are not and for some reason healthy girls near you haven't hopped on the trend yet, let me fill you in.

What is Açaí Anyways?

Pronounced : Ah-Sigh-EE

An Açaí Palm is a tree that produces dark purple berries, which are filled with healthy antioxidants and amino acids.

Ok, So it's a bowl of fruit? With more fruit on top?

Essentially, yes! An açaí bowl, is comprised of mostly açaí puree, sometimes granola, topped with fruit and honey.

It usually goes a little something like this...(starting from the bottom)

1. Açaí puree layer

2. Granola Layer

3. Açaí puree layer

4. On Top: Anything from Bananas, Strawberries, Blueberries, Shredded Coconut, Mangoes, Kiwi, and Honey.

Where did the trend start? Where can I get one?

Well, these questions are tricky. You could say as early as the beginning of time! The açaí berry has been used in amazonian diets for centuries. But the more modern version of bowls that you're seeing today came from Brazilian Jujitsu fighter Carlos Gracie.

"In the 80s, it was legendary Brazilian Jujitsu founder Carlos Gracie who likely popularized the acai bowl (frozen acai pulp blended with banana) in southern cities like Rio de Janeiro. Gracie established his own brand of diet called the Gracie Diet, which sought to maximize the performance of his fighters. A center piece of it was the acai bowl. You might imagine for a moment, his rough, tough, and buff students hanging out in Rio near the beach, eating an acai bowl on a hot summer day. More than a few impressed passers-by likely remarked, “what are they eating?” with the hopes of manifesting similar physiques, bite by delicious bite. Sorry people, acai is very good for you, but not capable of creating miracle health breakthroughs. Aside from an organic acai bowl every day, it will take some sweat and effort." - Tambor (History of the Acai Bowl)

So, where can you get one?

Good question. Many cafes across the U.S. are starting to offer açaí bowls on their menus. There are even açaí bowl cafes, where ALL they have are açaí bowls. So take a second to google some around you and you've got your answer.

If you're looking to make your own, then check out your local health food store. All you'll need are:

• Açaí Puree
  • Granola (if you'd like)
  • Any fruits / toppings you want!

The possibilities are endless!

But wait......are these things really that good for you?

This is another awesome question. An a açaí bowl is like that of frozen yogurt, the healthiness of it is kinda up to you. Depending on toppings, type of granola, and the type of puree.

Acai bowls are a healthy treat alternative, but if eaten every day or with loads of toppings, you might as well be eating a Big Mac!

So in conclusion, YES try an Açaí Bowl, you may find you really like them! If you don't, at least they make for a good Instagram picture!

MY Açaí Bowl on Instagram