NaNoWriMo: Do You Have What It Takes To Write A Novel In A Month?

All about that #NaNo.

109
StockSnap

If you are a writer, or know any writers, you have probably heard them talk about NaNoWriMo (also known as National Novel Writing Month). This is increasingly true around November, when NaNoWriMo starts. You may have even heard about it in my “A Guide To Prep-Tober” series, where plotting methods, world-building, strong characters, and genre were discussed. You may not have heard about it, though, and are therefore scratching your head and wondering what this “NaNoWriMo” really is. Essentially, it is a writing “challenge” where the goal is to write 50,000 words of new fiction (or nonfiction, if you want to be a rebel) in one month. That’s right: 30 days of writing a novel or screenplay or memoir or fanfiction. The choice is up to you; the goal, though (at least on the website), isn’t variable.

Do I have to write the 50,000 words?

Not at all! When I mentioned a writing challenge above, it is more of a personal challenge. The goal is set to 50,000 words because that is generally the length of a first draft, depending on your genre. If you want to work on short stories, or you want to work on a novella, then you can change your goal to something that fits your needs. Likewise, if you are working on a fantasy or science-fiction novel, there is a pretty good chance your novel will be over 50,000 words, and that is amazing. Just know that if you don’t at least hit the 50,000 words, you won’t get the “prizes” awarded on NaNoWriMo’s website from their sponsor offers.

Is there anything more flexible?

Yes! If you want a more flexible writing alternative than committing yourself to those 50,000 words, there are also two “camp” versions of National Novel Writing Month you could try, during the months of April and July. This version of NaNoWriMo is enjoyable because you not only set your word count to meet your goals (anywhere between 10,000 words to 100,000 words), but you can also join “cabins,” where multiple writers can be grouped together to encourage each other while writing. Inspiration, encouragement, and advice can also be found in the forums on the NaNoWriMo website for all sessions. This writing community is incredibly supportive and enjoys cheering everyone on to continue writing.

Tools to survive.

Honestly, everyone will tell you of different tools needed to survive this arduous process. Different people require different items to keep them writing and motivated. Below, I have listed the five I believe to be the most helpful to start and keep the writing flowing from the beginning of November until the end, when you have validated your world count.

• At least one idea to write.
  • Your preferred method of writing (whether that be via computer, handwriting, speech to text software, etc.).
  • A way to stay organized (a planner, a calendar, scheduled reminders for writing, etc.) so you don’t accidentally skip a day, and you can easily balance writing life and actual life.
  • Snacks. Once you get into a steady writing flow, you may realize you haven’t eaten all day, so be sure to keep snacks and water nearby.
  • A buddy. Find someone who enjoys hearing your writing ideas and encourages you to write your novel, because it will make the process much easier if someone is believing in you. (Luckily the NaNoWriMo website has regional groups set up so you could search for someone that way.)

How does NaNoWriMo makes you a better writer?

The number-one reason I recommend every writer try NaNoWriMo at least once in their life is because it shows your writing process better. Writing a novel in a month is an intense concept, to say the least, but it can be done. Some people find this easier than others, and that comes down to several important writing methods. For example, to “win” NaNoWriMo, you must have discipline. Writing a minimum of 1,667 words per day that string together a somewhat coherent first draft is not easy. Sometimes you just want to skip a day, or use the excuse that “you don’t have enough time to write.”

For some people, that is extremely true, but usually people don’t want to make the time (I’ve definitely been in that boat before). I can promise you it will be a whole lot easier to write the minimum word count goal each day than doubling it the next day. If you schedule out a few chunks of the day to write a few hundred words at a time, it feels even easier and doesn’t feel like it’s taking too much time out of your life. That being said, not everyone writes quickly, and that comes with practice.

Which leads me to my next point: practice. NaNoWriMo builds experience in writing and becomes easier the more you do it. So, if you discipline your habits to writing every day, it won’t seem as hard to do and you will see a growth of your writing. You will also see what methods work best for your writing style, whether you like a more figured-out outline, or if you like to completely wing it each time, or if you like something in-between. But, even after trying NaNoWriMo, and winning, some people don’t return to it. NaNoWriMo is a very fast-paced and sometimes sporadic writing challenge, and that isn’t for everyone. If you already know you don’t like that environment, that is awesome, but I would still recommend trying this challenge; you may surprise yourself with how much you can accomplish within a month.

Give it a try, and let me know what you think!

Pick up those pens or computers and join me on the journey to write a novel (or multiple short stories, or a screenplay, or fanfiction, or a memoir, or anything you want to write) in a month. Join the community and let your fingers fly over the words, each one bringing you closer and closer to your word count goal. Because even if you only write 100 words toward your story idea, it probably would have been 100 more than you would have anyway. Dive in and see how much you will achieve during NaNoWriMo.

If you are also participating in a NaNoWriMo session, leave a comment below of your username and I will add you as a writing buddy on the official website. Good luck, and happy writing!