It's Not About Having The Perfect Summer Body, It's About Having A Healthy One

Not everyone is meant to be a bathing suit model!
168

Summertime is finally here, and as most typical girls do — I have found myself worrying about my summer body. Some may ask, why do you worry about your summer body, as to my reply of “I just want to be skinny again, like I was back in high school.”

Way back when, I didn’t have to worry about the type of bathing suit that I purchased, or what it would look like on me, even though at the time — you could not convince me differently. Someone once told me, “when you stop dancing, you’ll be wishing you had the practice to attend to keep your body in shape.” I never truly believed them. But, here I am today – finding that statement to be truer than ever!

Coming to college, balancing a job, full course load and extra-curricular activities — it was very easy to eat the most convenient option for every meal, often finding myself in restaurants every night to save time.

As the school year has gone by, I noticed a change in my body – and one that I had never experienced before. I wasn’t fitting into my clothes and I just didn’t feel good about myself.

Recently, I have turned over a new leaf and began to exercise daily and eat food that is filling, rather than convenient. I am working towards a HEALTHY body, not towards a skinny one.

For the longest time, I wanted to look like to look like the bathing suit models in popular magazines. However, for my body type — that look is incredibly unrealistic. Going to the gym every day was a huge step for me, but I am so thankful I did it. That hour each day is a time for me to focus on myself and the betterment of my current and future physical state. I am may not be running the fastest on the treadmill, and I may not be lifting the most weights — but going in itself is a huge accomplishment for me, and I am so excited to be working towards a healthy lifestyle for myself.

So, as you are preparing for those long beach days and mornings by the pool — don’t sweat the small stuff. Don’t worry about what size your bathing suit it, just make sure it fits! Don’t worry about what you look like sitting in a chair — because trust me, everyone has rolls, they just may not always be visible.If you are working towards a summer body, work to become healthy – not to look like someone in a magazine. If you are not working towards a summer body, you are going to kill it either way!! This world is meant for a variety of people of all shapes and sizes — besides, the world would be a boring place if each of us were identical to one another!