What Abortion Means From A Guy's Perspective

This is about societal and cultural change, not a legislative or administrational change.

51
answersingenesis.org

I can’t believe I actually dare to write on this subject, and I do so with a bit of nervousness, knowing of the fact that abortion is an insanely controversial subject. For those that have made a finite decision about whether you are Pro-Choice or Pro-Life, I want to say I respect your opinion wholeheartedly. That being said, there are many, like myself, that are completely torn between being a strong believer in the rights of the unborn versus the belief that the government has no place in regulating a woman's reproductive rights.

Speaking for myself, I've come to my own conclusion that abortion is not an issue that will be (or should be, for that matter) dealt with by the passing of legislation or a ruling from the Supreme Court that outlaws or permits the act. Simply, abortion will be dealt with when we finally unite together as a society and change the culture in which we live. And no, that does not mean changing the mindset of Pro-Choicers to recognize the rights of the unborn or changing the mindsets of Pro-Lifers to recognize the rights of women. It is so much deeper and complex than it seems at the surface, as many of you know. While reading this, both sides of the aisle will probably become infuriated at some point – but I urge you to consider what I have to say.

Does anyone truly believe that any woman would like to abort her baby, the one she’ll think about the rest of her life, simply because it’d be “a weight off her shoulders?” At the same time, does anyone truly think that those who support life are simply trying to restrict the rights of women? If you do believe in either, I urge you to talk to people face to face on both sides of the issue and learn about why they stand where they do. You may not end up agreeing, but hopefully you’ll come out of it a little more informed.

So, to my generation, the one that prides itself simultaneously as “the new wave of feminists” and the “Pro-Life generation,” do you want to know how we can finally end the debate on an issue that has been in the limelight for decades?

Realize that this issue will not be concluded any time soon, possibly not even in our lifetime. Realize that neither side is evil: one is fighting for the unborn, one is fighting for women. Realize that both sides are fighting for what they think is moral. Realize that this is a cultural issue and requires a cultural change.

Let’s be the generation that actually takes steps to finalize this issue for good. Not by defunding Planned Parenthood or demonizing the advocates for Life, but by ending the issues that relate to abortion.

Let’s be the generation that ends rape culture. Why should the government force a victim to give birth to her rapist’s baby, whom he’ll more than likely never care to meet or provide for?

Let’s be the generation that finds a way to end poverty. Why should we criticize a woman who is contemplating abortion when she’s worried she will not have the capability of properly caring for her child? There will always be those that are poorer than others, but there should not be those that are impoverished.

Let’s be the generation that ends abuse. Sexual, physical, or emotional – it does not matter, we must end it. If a woman is scared to bring a baby into the world because of the circumstances in which she lives (and is too scared to leave), we must learn to eliminate that burden so she can feel comfortable raising a child.

Let’s be the ones to end drug addiction. None of us would want a child to be raised in an environment that is unsafe and unhealthy to live. This also includes helping those with any form of mental illness. Whether the addict be the mother, the father, or both, we need to find a way where addiction, or any form of illness, is not the reason why life is taken away from this world.

Let’s stop being so cynical. If someone comes to you for your opinion on what they should do about their pregnancy, let them know you are there to help and support them in any way possible. There are too many young girls out there that feel as if they will not have the support they need in order to properly raise their child. Letting them know about options such as adoption are great, but the personal support is what they are going to need the most. If she’s in the position where she’s asking for your help, chances are she’s scared and nervous and she values your opinion and friendship. Make sure she knows you will be there for her, regardless of which route she takes and if you agree with her decision or not.

Outlawing abortion and defunding organizations that provide them (as well as many other health benefits) will not end abortion. You may very well believe that it is a step in the right direction, but just as pro-gun advocates state that a bad guy will still find a way to get a gun regardless of the laws put in place, women will still have abortions if they feel it is best – and without access to safe abortions, this means the increased possibility of death to two human lives.

I’m not saying you should no longer care about the issue. Keep electing government officials that are Pro-Life and keep advocating for the cause. Just as the Women’s March will keep up their fight, so should Pro-Lifers. Keep marching. Never stop. Fighting for any life is a beautiful and powerful thing. But realize that the outlaw of abortion is not the legislation you should want passed but rather legislation that fixes the issues that force women to merely consider the act.

Regardless of what any person says, there is indeed common ground on this issue and regardless of your stance on the issue, we can end abortion once and for all and still come out of it as a united people.