My vagina, my decision.
Politics

What Makes You Think You Can Control My Body?

As the fight for women's rights continues, a hard blow is given.

64
Photo by Mirah Curzer on Unsplash

We have come so far when it comes to women's health and making sure things are accessible to keep women and young girls safe, it seems that within the last few months, those things are changing.

As I hear another state sign away women's rights to decide for their own bodies, I am disgusted. On the warpath to end Roe v. Wade, which was a decision of the U.S. Supreme Court ruled the Due Process Clause of the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution provides a fundamental "right to privacy" that protects a pregnant woman's liberty to choose whether or not to have an abortion.

Republican men are marching to overturn this decision with blind-sighted women on their heels. In the state of Georgia and Ohio, you cannot abort a fetus after 6 weeks, due to a possible heartbeat. They want to say that a fetus is a person. Now Alabama has added their two cents, making it a felony for a doctor to perform any abortions at any time after conception.

All this does is cause more women to lose their lives when they feel they have no other choice. This will cause women to go into back alleys and nasty hotels where someone with a bottle of liquor and a dirty hanger will perform an unsafe abortion. All this will cause is more kids in the overpopulated system when rape victims are forced to birth the child of their assaulter. There is no way this ends right; there is no way this should be happening.

Why aren't we standing up? Why are women taking a backseat and letting these men write laws that determine what we can and cannot do with our bodies? In Alabama, there were 25 men who voted to ban all abortion in the state, including victims of rape and incest. What makes it worse is there is a Republican woman governor who they expect to sign it.

This is all after Republicans made a big deal for people not to be forced to make a cake for a gay couple, but are in the same token okay with forcing a woman to carry a child that she doesn't want.

How is this possible in a progressive world? Alabama is 49th out of 50 state overall. 46th in health care, 50th in education, 45th in economy, 45th in opportunity, and 45th in crime and corrections, but this was something they thought was more important. More important education? Then crime?

As a woman, as a feminist, as a proud vagina having American – I am pissed. How can someone whom this law will never effect sign a bill to decide what I can do with mine? No, I don't live in Alabama, I don't live in Georgia, nor Ohio, but how long until these inhumane laws hit DC and Roe vs. Wade is challenged?