The ABC's Of Summer Camp

The ABC's Of Summer Camp

T is for tie dye of course.

334

If there's one thing I look forward to every summer year after year it's camp. After years and years as a camper then staff member I feel like an unofficial expert on the subject. Since I don't have time to write a full book on camp, I'll just start a small glossary instead. Here are the ABC's that every camp counselor or staffer know all too well.

A: Air Conditioning

Unless your camp is new and modern this is one luxury you'll be without.

B: Bug Spray

Depending on who you are it's either the first thing you pack or the one thing you forget.

C: Campfire

Essentially the best camp activity ever.

D: Dining Hall

Practically the central hub of camp where you come for food, songs, skits and important information.

E: Energy Drinks.

The best friend of every tired camp counselor.

F: Flip Flops

Because there's no way you're stepping in that shower stall barefoot.

G: Games

Counselors basically have a book of them they know how to teach.

H: Homesick

You hope and pray every year you won't have any homesick campers but there's always at least one.

I: Ice Cream

The first thing to sell out from the camp store.

J: Jewelry Making

Friendship bracelets for days.

K: Kayaking

"Please don't let anyone tip today, please don't let anyone tip today."

L: Line Dancing

Is it really camp without line dancing?

M: Marshmallow

A tasty camp classic and sometimes a code word for homesick campers. (We call is Marshmallow Fever.)

N: Nurse

The nicest person at camp you hope to never have to go see.

O: Outside Voices

BECAUSE IT'S OKAY TO YELL AT CAMP, IT'S CAMP!

P: Patience

Something you must have to work with kids.

Q: Quiet

Something that rarely happens unless everyone is asleep.

R: Rest Time

The worst part of the day as a camper, the absolute best part of the day as a staff member.

S: Staff

Actually the coolest people at camp ever.

T: Tie Dye

A basic camp staple.

U: Upchuck

God bless your soul if you've ever had a puking camper.

V: Victory

From a winning hand of cards to getting picky campers to eat its all about little victories.

W: Walk

Usually used in the common phrase of "Walk please!"

X: X - Rated

AKA conversations and topics that are deemed not camp friendly.

Y: Youth

The whole reason we do this is for the kids.

Z: Zoo

Basically the synonym for summer camp period.

It may be crazy, but there's nothing else I'd rather know more about than camp.