The ABCs Of Rhode Island College

The ABCs Of Rhode Island College

Were the words "sleep deprivation," "stress" and "studying" a part of your ABCs in kindergarten?

139
The ABCs Of Rhode Island College
RIC.edu

We learned the ABCs when we were young because it is the foundation of our knowledge. But once you hit college, you're soon to find yourself having to say the ABCs out loud to know what letter comes next. In college, you learn an entirely new set of ABCs depending on what college you attend. Here is the Rhode Island College edition including some typical struggles of college students.

1. A is for Anchormen.

Though the Huffington Post named RIC’s mascot one of the strangest in the United States, RIC’s Anchormen (and Anchorwomen) are unashamed when sporting their white, burgundy and gold school gear around campus. Besides, we could be Scrotie from Rhode Island School of Design.

2. B is for Blackboard.

The old fashioned blackboard has been revamped, no more screeching of the chalk. This dreaded universal tool that is a blessing and a curse wrapped into one. Some days Blackboard is the greatest creation making it easy to see your grades and giving you a way to see any work you missed when you miss a class. However, it tends to malfunction more often than it actually works. We all know the stomach dropping feeling we all receive when we get that notification that the grade for the test you are worried about was posted.

3. C is for commuters.

Though RIC has several commuter parking lots, it’s often difficult to find the right spot. Whether you’re fighting a Prius for a close-to-school parking spot or are spending 10-minutes with your blinker on for someone to get off of their phone and pull out of their spot, a series of trial-and-error allows for commuters get to know how the parking lots work, what time you should be on campus to get the best spot and where it is easiest to leave campus once classes end.

4. D is for Donovan Dining Center.

I don’t know about you, but I try to avoid Don at any cost. Some days I would honestly rather skip eating a meal than go eat at Don. Very few menu items actually look edible. If you look at the menu and see something you like, you most likely will be disappointed once you get to the dining hall. I know I was excited when I saw baked mac 'n' cheese on the menu one day, but I soon found out it looked like baby food, not appetizing at all. The amount of money people probably waste because we are forced to have a meal plan is ridiculous. The disgusting food calls for a lot of money spent on take out or when in doubt always choose the cafe over Don! If you actually like the food at Don, then I hope you weren't planning on going anywhere afterward, since you will soon be making a trip to the bathroom!

5. E is for exams.

It's that time of the year again: where the word “exams” is frequently used in conversation, and it starts to become like a swear word. The word automatically makes people get nervous and uptight. The worst is when you dedicate the week or weekend before that big exam to study your life away, but then all that hard work is thrown out the window when you find out you didn't do as well as you wanted. Everyone dreads exams, you just have to say to yourself “You do not and will not determine me, my life and my success." Thoughts run through everyone's head such as “just give us the exam already” or "fingers crossed that I studied the right material." The sigh of relief once the exam is passed in is by far the best feeling ever.

6. F is for friends.

As Spongebob and Plankton say:

"F is for friends who do stuff together.
U is for you and me
N is for anywhere and anytime at all
Down here in the deep blue sea."

Honestly, where would we all be without our friends keeping us sane and always there to listen to our 2 a.m. rant sessions? Good friends are a key necessity in college!

7. G is for graduation.

Ah, graduation. The day that all RIC undergraduates (and graduates) put on their cap and gowns on an 80-degree spring day and cross the stage, completing yet another chapter in their lives. We all look forward to this moment from the minute we step foot on RIC’s quad, and though the journey to reaching your graduation may be a bumpy one, it’s worth it in the end because you exit the school with a few years of great education under your belt. It's an even better feeling for the "super" seniors who have spent five or more years at RIC: finally, you're free!

8. H is for Henry Barnard.

Henry Barnard is an on-campus elementary school that serves students from Pre-K through fifth grade and assists the college in training and preparing students who aspire to be teachers. I mean who doesn't love to spend almost $14,000 to send your kid to kindergarten?!

9. I is for in-state tuition.

What's unique about RIC’s tuition is that in-state or discounted tuition isn't just for Rhode Island Residents. RIC offers discounted tuition for students from specific Massachusetts, New York and Connecticut communities and lowered tuition for New England residents in certain fields of study!

10. J is for juggling responsibilities

College is truly a game of mastering the art of juggling. After four years of practice, you'll be a pro-- I promise. You just have to get used to resisting the urge to crawl back into a ball in your comfy bed.

11. K is for keep calm.

College is stressful, so it’s important that you keep calm when you feel yourself coming unglued! Though we all may feel like 2007 Britney Spears at times, putting down the buzzers and taking a step back from the stress is essential to your success.

12. L is for LaSalle Bakery.

LaSalle Bakery, a RIC student’s lifeline. With two locations (one on Smith Street and one on Admiral Street), LaSalle serves a variety of coffees, teas and other beverages as well as an array of delicious pastries and sandwiches. It's an important pit stop on the way to classes for commuters.

13. M is for managing time.

Prioritization is key, especially in the weeks leading up to finals where all of your assignments seem to be due at once. Allowing time to study or take a short break is crucial to maintaining your sanity.

14. N is for no sleep.

#Teamnosleep all the way. Consider yourself lucky if you get more than 15-hours of sleep in total, and that's on a good week.

15. O is for open-mindedness.

With all of the clubs and events on campus every day, it’s important to approach new situations with an open mind! It’s a great way to not only get involved in something out of your norm, but also to make new friends and connections with other RIC students!

16. P is for Providence.

RIC is located in the heart of the Mount Pleasant section of Providence which provides both commuters and residents easy access to downtown Providence and its surrounding areas. This city is the hub for sightseeing and many different activities.

17. Q is for quiet time.

This only exists during the small amount of time that your roommate is at classes while your not. Enjoy and appreciate the time you get alone, trust me it doesn’t happen often maybe once a week.

18. R is for roommates.

Getting good roommates is pretty much all based off of luck. You could either instantly become best friends or you could both have death wishes for each other, there is no in-between. You are two strangers being forced to live together, there will be times where you argue and don't get along. Bottom line is that you just have to make the best out of the situation in order to get through the year. Side note: you can’t always trust them.

19. S is for spring break.

The one thing that gets everyone through classes once we no longer have Christmas vacation to look forward to. Some of us spend those days in sunny, warm places lying on a beach and working on our tans. Some of us spend them taking road trips to see friends or family, or places we just feel like visiting. Some of us spend those days lying on the couch with a bag of chips (or a few bags) on our laps, binge-watching any show we can find on Netflix. If you do choose to travel, there are so many party central destinations to choose from! Personally, Panama City Beach, Florida was my suitemate and my choice for a week of paradise. After being stressed out to the max, us college students deserve a week of no responsibilities.

20. T is for Thayer Street.

Thayer Street is a popular destination for Anchormen. Its location on the East Side of Providence, and is a short drive from campus. This scenic and well-known area to Rhode Islanders hosts a variety of restaurants and stores. It’s a good alternative to Donovan food, too!

21. U is for undergraduate.

Most of RIC’s population is undergraduate students who are taking the first step to their future careers. Being an undergraduate is hard work because you’re learning through experience and there is no handbook for how to handle this new chapter in your life.

22. V is for Victor Spoils.

Thirsty Thursday, anyone? Victor Spoils is just one of the many 18+ clubs located in the heart of downtown Providence. Like any club, if you're claustrophobic then good luck! There's nothing like being groped by dozens of strangers, having your feet stepped on, being bumped around like a pinball and having drinks spilled on you. However, with that said, everyone needs a night out every once in a while.

23. W is for WaterFire.

Is that the smell of the city burning? Or could it be the amazing attraction called WaterFire? WaterFire is Providence’s very own event, and no, it is not related to the Fire & Ice restaurant. Its always a great night out gathered around sparkling bonfires which line the whole river Downtown. Need a date idea? This is a perfect addition to a date in downtown Providence.

24. X is for xenodochial.

Spreading good Karma will work in your favor! It won’t hurt you to wait a few extra seconds in order to hold the door for someone. You never know when someone is having a bad day.

25. Y is for yawning.

Yawning is contagious, especially when you get into a vicious cycle of staying up late just to have to be awake a few hours later to attend an 8 a.m. class. Yawning is unavoidable and if it isn’t you yawning, it’s the person next to you!

26. Z is for zzzs.

Is it even possible to sleep in college? Whether it's a noisy roommate, a last-minute assignment due or your drunk neighbor stumbling back to their room at 2 a.m., sleep deprivation is definitely common as a college student.