Why Abbey Road On The River Is The Best Summer Festival

If you are free on Memorial Day weekend and love the Beatles, come to Jeffersonville, KY!

22
Cincinnati Magazine

If you are a Beatles fan and are free on Memorial Day weekend, come to Jeffersonville, Kentucky and party at the world's largest Beatles inspired festival! I have been going to Abbey Road on the River since I was in 6th grade and I look forward to it every year! The festival is typically 5 days long. It starts on Thursday and ends on Monday of Memorial Day weekend in May. In the past, AROTR was held at Belvedere Park connected to the Galt House in Louisville, Kentucky, but this will be the festival's first year held in Jeffersonville. For more information about ticket prices, nearby hotels, and map/location, etc., click here to find almost any information you might need.

What makes Abbey Road on the River so spectacular, and what exactly do they have to offer? Here are a few (personal) reasons why I believe it is the best summer festival.

1. The Amazing Headliners

Every year, Abbey Road on the River has spectacular headlining shows. Some of the past performances have included The Zombies, Peter Noone & the Hermans Hermits, The Beach Boys, and Jefferson Starship. They also have guest stars as well such as Prudence Farrow or Tony Bramwell. You can see all of 2017's headliners and guests on the home page of the website above.

2. The food is to die for

I have never had better food truck food anywhere else. Abbey Road on the River is packed with food stands and trucks. Some of my favorites are the lemon shake-up stand, the ice cream food truck that serves giant waffle cones, and their decadent cheese fries. They also have an entire food truck just for s'mores everything! And for the adults 21 and over there is unlimited beer/other alcoholic drinks.

3. Rad Merchandise

This point is for the shoppers. Although pricey, the merchandise sold at AROTR is so cool! They have tons of different options such as trendy Beatles tanks, original Gretsch guitars and ukuleles, and beautiful handmade jewelry. When you're there, make sure to take some time out of your day to browse the awesome merchandise booths.

4. The bands are SUPER chill

Abbey Road on the River has tons of different bands that play at the 5 day festival. Some bands only play Beatles songs, some play Wings or just John Lennon, and some even play Beach Boys or Queen! You never know what you'll get at a concert. The concerts go on until the gates open in the morning until about midnight or 1 AM. The bands LOVE when you sing along and dance around, so don't be shy. Most of the bands also love meeting their fans and audience after the shows. Make sure to not be pushy, however, and patiently wait until they've gotten all of their equipment off of the stage. They'll talk with you and take pictures with you even if you see them walking around the grounds. Not to mention, they are all extremely talented and put on amazing shows.

5. Ultimate Love Fest <3

This point is about to get a little sappy. Everyone loves everyone at Abbey Road on the River. It is a huge hippie festival, and everyone is so nice to one another. Strangers will dance right beside you, and it seems that everybody that is present there is having the best time of their lives. It is such a great feeling. I have never felt judged or threatened by anybody at AROTR. All of the people seem so close even if they don't know each other. You begin to love these people and consider them your family after going for years. The love runs freely here, because after all it is all you need.

6. You are free to get weird

Some of these late night shows can get pretty weird and psychedelic, so don't be afraid to show your weirdness. It is very much appreciated here in the best way! Sometimes they have black-lights, bubbles, crazy lights, or funny props as part of the show. Some nights, you can even be part of the show! It's always a good, weird time at Abbey Road.

7. You get to meet people from all over the world

Believe it or not, people from all over the world come to Kentucky to celebrate the Beatles. There are bands and fans from Puerto Rico, England, Japan, Norway, and all over the world that have been and still come to the festival. It is interesting meeting all of the people who have been inspired in some way by the Beatles and would come all the way to Kentucky in America to show their love. It truly is amazing.

8. It will be the best time of your life

AROTR is the best way to get away from your stress for a while. Whether you stay the entire 5 days or only stay for a couple of days, you will have the best time ever. Every day is filled with non-stop dancing, singing listening to great, old rock n' roll from the 60's all day and jamming out with some really awesome hippies. There is also delicious food and drinks, lots of chances to meet celebrities, and a great way to let go and be yourself for the holiday weekend. It is kid friendly, so you can bring the whole family if you wish! Everyone will greet you with a smile, and I promise you will never be bored. Just make sure to bring sunscreen and a blanket or chair!

If you want more information, the website will almost always have everything you will need. You can also visit their Facebook page! I hope to see more people come to this amazing festival in the future!