AA Meetings in Colorado - The Perils of Drinking

Colorado

20

Before delving into understanding the need to go to an AA meeting in Colorado, let us know what the term 'addiction' means and all concepts related to it.

Addiction – what it is

The term addiction refers to a complex condition of the brain that renders a person incapable of stopping themselves from engaging in a particular type of behaviour or taking a substance even when they are fully aware of its negative physical and psychological consequences.

Types of addiction

There are various types of things people can be addicted to, such as:

• Drugs
  • Alcohol – a most common type of addiction, for which people seek help in AA meetings in Colorado
  • Gambling
  • Certain medicines, like fentanyl
  • Sex
  • Exercise eating
  • Tobacco
  • Internet gaming – this is a new entrant in the field of addiction.

Symptoms of addiction

While the signs and symptoms of any type of addiction will vary from the other, there are a few common ones.

• Denial
  • Risky behaviour
  • Inability to stop
  • Mood changes
  • Withdrawal symptoms
  • Secrecy

Alcohol addiction

5 percent of deaths around the world are caused due to dependence on alcohol. And all of these are preventable deaths. At your local AA meetings in Colorado or any other US state, you will learn that alcoholism is an individual's drive to drink alcohol regardless of its severe negative consequences.

The risk factors for this type of addiction are:

• Binge drinking
  • Drinking before the age of 15
  • Past traumatic incidents
  • Family history
  • Metal health issues, like depression, schizophrenia, etc.

Need for AA Meetings in Colorado

Alcoholism is a social disease which impacts the drinker and their family, friends, and society at large. Also, it is a potentially fatal illness as the drinker can unwittingly overwhelm their body with far too much alcohol, which leads to alcohol poisoning and subsequent death.

With cases of alcohol addiction on the rise, it stands to reason that a solution must be sought for this issue.

Alcoholics Anonymous is a society of former and current alcoholics who come together to gain and retain sobriety. This society is free of charge, and does not have any religious affiliations. Its doors are open to persons of any gender, race or faith. The only stipulation is that the members remain committed to the cause of renouncing alcoholism.

The 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous are a set of 12 principles that act as a guide for AA members to gradually tear free from the binds of alcoholism and begin to help others too to do so. These are really helpful in acting as a spiritual guide that helps members to understand the harm they had wreaked on themselves and their loved ones and take steps to repair the broken bonds.

The use of a Sobriety Calculator in meetings in Colorado, or any other state in the USA, really boosts the enthusiasm of members who see each milestone as a cause for celebration as it helps them to track the number of days they have been without the poison of alcohol in their body.