An Easy Beginner's Guide To The Keto Diet

A Beginner's Guide To The Keto Diet

A simple guide that outlines the basics of the popular Keto Diet.

180
A Beginner's Guide To The Keto Diet

My friends and I recently decided to jump on the Keto bandwagon because we were looking for an easy, clean diet. At first, I was a bit hesitant to start this diet because I thought that it was too complex and expensive. However, I soon learned that the Keto diet isn't as bad as it sounds. Below I will outline the most common questions about the Keto Diet, and answer each question with a brief, simple answer.

What is the Keto Diet?

The Keto Diet is essentially a diet that focuses on consuming foods that contain high-fats and avoiding foods that contain too much carbs. Basically, you are eliminating excessive carbohydrate intake and fueling your body with healthy fats. When your body replaces the carbs with healthy fats, it puts you into a state called ketosis (hence the name.)

There are several different versions of the Keto Diet. Personally, I am sticking with the normal, Standard Ketogenic Diet known as SKD. The standard version focuses on low-carb, moderate-protein and high-fat intakes. In number form, it rounds out to be 75% healthy fats, 20% protein and 5% carbs.

Why should I start the Keto Diet? 

The Keto Diet has numerous scientific-based health benefits. First off, it helps you lose weight in a healthy manner. You are not starving yourself. Instead, you are actually eating a ton of different, colorful foods.

The reason why people lose so much weight on a Keto Diet is because of the ketosis process. This process allows your body to shed off all that extra, unhealthy fat in your body.

Due to the weight loss benefits that the Keto Diet creates, it also simultaneously helps your body fight against type 2 diabetes, prediabetes, and even metabolic syndrome difficulties. It also boosts your insulin sensitivity, which leads to more fat loss.

Other notable diseases that the Keto Diet may fight off include: Heart Disease, Cancer, Alzheimer's Disease, Epilepsy, Parkinson's Disease, Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, Brain injuries and acne.

What can I eat?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ketodietapp.com/Blog/lchf/amp/ketogenic-food-pyramid

You can consume a variety of different foods including: nuts, berries, raw full-fat dairy, vegetables low in carbs, herbs, spices, healthy fats, healthy oils, non-starchy vegetables, lean meat, lean fish, fatty fish, fatty meat, eggs, tea, coffee (no sugar), dry wine and spirits. Most importantly, drink a lot of water. You can use the above chart as a helpful guide.

What foods should I avoid?

You should avoid consuming the following: bread, pasta, rice, starches, sugar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, corn, wheat, flour, legumes, beans, fruit (berries are fine), soda and milk. You can use the above chart as a guide. It is very important to avoid these foods and not cheat.

Is this diet for me? 

Well, that is up for you to decide. When compared to other diets, like a low-fat diet, the Keto Diet has research that proves that it is superior. When you add up all the other possible health benefits, you can see how successful the diet is.

However, the diet does require you to keep on track, meaning no cheat days. If you think that you can do it, then you should give it a try. Do more research before you give it a shot.

What is your experience with the Keto Diet? 

My friends and I enjoy the diet. We get the chance to bond over it when we meal prep. Personally, I love the diet. I feel like I have more energy and overall I have seen positive results. I truly recommend the Keto Diet to everyone.