A Playlist From The iPod Of A Middle Schooler In 2013

25 songs straight from the middle school heart

8
Photo by 90 angle on Unsplash

I often get flashbacks of my time in middle school, flooded with memories, trends, and music. I remember the freedom I felt as I unpacked my first iPod and how eager I was to turn it on to listen to my music. I was a middle schooler in the age where Spotify started to dominate the music industry. This shaped the way I music I was drawn to as it was getting easier and easier to discover new music. The following are only a fraction of the music that dominated my listening activity music as a middle schooler in 2013.

1. "My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark" — Fall Out Boy

@falloutboy on Twitter

2. "One Way Or Another (Teenage Kicks)" — One Direction

One Direction, SECC, Glasgow 1.jpg - Wikimedia Commons upload.wikimedia.org

3. "Stubborn Love" — The Lumineers

The Lumineers 2013.jpg - Wikimedia Commons upload.wikimedia.org

4. "Applause" — Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Applause MTV VMA 2013 4.jpg - Wikimedia Commons upload.wikimedia.org

5. "Thinkin Bout You" — Frank Ocean

Frank Ocean (2013) (cropped).jpg - Wikimedia Commons upload.wikimedia.org

6. "Midnight Memories" — One Direction

One Direction 2012.jpg - Wikimedia Commons upload.wikimedia.org

7. "Carry On" — Fun.

@ournameisfun on Twitter

8. "Fitzpleasure" — alt- J

Alt-J @ Bonnaroo 2018.jpg - Wikimedia Commons upload.wikimedia.org

9. "Can't Hold Us" — Macklemore and Ryan Lewis feat. Ray Dalton

Macklemore Wittenberg.jpg - Wikimedia Commons upload.wikimedia.org

10. "Rock Me" — One Direction

@bridiehoran2 on Twitter

11. "Tongue Tied" — Grouplove

Grouplove in Seattle 9-30-11.jpg - Wikimedia Commons upload.wikimedia.org

12. "Fall Away" — Twenty One Pilots

Twenty One Pilots, Portsmouth Wedgewood Rooms (12811022553 ... upload.wikimedia.org

13. "Sail" — AWOLNATION

AWOLNATION, Rockhal, Luxembourg (14171177008).jpg - Wikimedia ... upload.wikimedia.org

14. "White Walls" — Macklemore and Ryan Lewis feat. Hollis, ScHoolboy Q

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis 4 | Der Robert | Flickr live.staticflickr.com

15. "Take Me To Church" — Hozier

Hozier 2015 01 (cropped).jpg - Wikimedia Commons upload.wikimedia.org

16. "Take A Walk" — Passion Pit

Passion Pit 2008-12-03.jpg - Wikimedia Commons upload.wikimedia.org

17. "Oceans" — JAY-Z feat. Frank Ocean

Jay-Z 7.jpg - Wikimedia Commons upload.wikimedia.org

18. "Summertime Sadness" — Lana Del Rey

Lana Del Rey performing at Manchester, O2 Apollo on Thursday ... upload.wikimedia.org

19. "Hold On, We're Going Home" — Drake feat. Majid Jordan

Drake at Bun-B Concert 2011 (1).jpg - Wikimedia Commons upload.wikimedia.org

20. "Cough Syrup" — Young the Giant

YOUNG THE GIANT perform at The Boulevard Pool at The Cosmo… | Flickr c1.staticflickr.com

21. "Sweater Weather" — The Neighbourhood

Hospital with The Neighbourhood in GlavClub 15.05.2014.jpg ... upload.wikimedia.org

22. "Gas Pedal" — Sage The Gemini feat. Iamsu

Gas Pedal - The EP | Sage the Gemini | InvaderBritney *Official ... live.staticflickr.com

23. "Beauty And A Beat" — Justin Bieber feat. Nicki Minaj

Justin Bieber -DSC 0498-10.20.12 (8107443399).jpg - Wikimedia ... upload.wikimedia.org

24. "The Phoenix" — Fall Out Boy

Fall Out Boy Patrick guitar.jpg - Wikimedia Commons upload.wikimedia.org

25. "Same Love" — Macklemore and Ryan Lewis feat. Mary Lambert

Macklemore (8466308868).jpg - Wikimedia Commons upload.wikimedia.org