A Note to Self

A Note to Self

Short stories about Environmental Well-Being

5
A Note to Self

We are one -- One with nature, animals, and the air. Everything that surrounds us is within immediate reach for love. As the trees begin to wither and the air suffocate, we must realize that it is we, we who have poisoned it. When we siphon our bearings, oh so dark and tarnished, into the flowing rivers of the earth, the water cries. It, with everlasting pain, sings its song as the animals cling to every last source of food they can attain. And while they grapple with the tarnishes of the human race, their organs suck the synthetic forms we create,

And you say, "Only a matter of time before it's fixed." Well, as the water screams and the air suffocates, God laughs at you. For he gave you this land, the one that you so tarnished and destroyed. Full of beauty it was, before the human race bestowed its dominion over it and called it "theirs'. And mustn't you be an atheist, think for yourself. As life begins to diminish and heat begins to trap, it will be you that is screaming as the world slowly crumbles out and under you. And I know you can feel it, feel it as blistering summers turn to glacial winters. And if religion is not principal, think about your family (whether future or present). As they sit in the conditions you've created, disease may flow around like birds to the air and the land may be bald like a city abandoned after depression hits.

And, it has already started. From melted glaciers to the disparity in temperatures, they are trying to tell you something, for things can only last so long. It's a call, a call for help. For one to change their paths and show love. Love to the nature that surrounds you and to the things that give you life.