The Halko Family

My Family Came From Russia And I Couldn't Be More Proud Of My Immigrant Heritage

An Immigration Story

34
Emily Vincent

The Halko family fled Russia in the early 1900s. William (Walis) Halko was born in 1885 while his wife Maria was born in 1889. They first fled to Poland, but they wouldn't stop there. In 1903 they arrived in Philadelphia. This journey wasn't as easy as just moving from country to country. This was a time of war. The Halko family and other members of their family were fleeing this war. It was the Rise of the Soviet Union. Events (A civil war) that took place before that time were brutal.

Walis Halko's mother and sister were fleeing Russia with Walis and his wife Mary. During the train ride to Poland Walis's sister and mother did not make it. Both were killed before him. His sister was beheaded, and his mother was stabbed to death.

Walis and Mary made it to Poland where they fled to America. They took a boat to Philadelphia. They did not reside in Philly. They moved to Trenton where there were others who spoke the Russian language and shared the same faith.

There were 2 places that registered immigrants. Ellis Island was one of those places. Many of their other family came over after them. Many of these people were between the ages of 16 and 18. One was an infant that died at sea.

It was painful to leave family and friends behind knowing they might not make it out themselves. It was worth it in the end. The Halko family had 11 children, but only 9 lived. One of those children was Anastasia Halko.

Anastasia Halko grew up on a farm during the Great Depression. Life wasn't easy, but she was one of those people that lived it to its fullest. She married a Polish man named Anthony Bobrownicki in 1945 at the age of 23. She didn't have as many children as her parents did. She stopped at 2. She had two girls, Joyce and Donna Bobrownicki. She had her first child at the age of 25.

Her youngest daughter, Joyce met an Italian guy; a real smooth talker and had Lynn Cherubini. At the age of 23, Lynn married Len Plewes just like Anastasia did. The two moved out of Philadelphia and into the suburbs, and, just like Anastasia, Lynn had her first child at the age of 25. Her name was Emily Plewes.

Here I am today. Had the Halko's not made the great sacrifice to leave their country and come to America I would not have the chance to sit here and tell their story of bravery. Many people don't understand what it takes sometimes to leave a country behind. You're not just leaving a place. You're leaving a home, family, friends, culture and everything you know. But you're leaving in hopes of a better life. There was lots of fighting going on when Walis and Mary fled Russia. Much of my family didn't make it. I am grateful every day for the ones that did.