A Love Letter To Chicago

A Love Letter To Chicago

For those who are missing their hometown, you're not alone.

1006
https://moe1208.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/chicago-bean.jpg
Flickr

To my lovely Chicago,

Being the independent, adventuring seeking seventeen-year-old I was when applying to colleges, I wished nothing more than to get away from you. I felt like we need really needed space from each other and I needed to explore other things.

However, after our time apart there's just so many things I miss about you and I can't keep them off my mind.

It all started when I came down to South Carolina. I quickly realized just how much I was missing. No one knew what Portillo's was, let alone that their secret ingredient in the chocolate cake was mayonnaise.

Not only that, but I haven't had a good piece of pizza since we went our separate ways.

No one knows about deep dish let alone what Pizano's, Lou Malnati's or Giordano's is. Pizza used to be our thing, now I'm lost trying to fill that hole in my heart. I miss cheese popcorn with a sprinkle of caramel corn from Garrett's. People looked at me funny when I tried to tell them about that. Little do they know what they're missing.

Being without you has created a hunger both literally and figuratively that can only be filled by the Windy City itself.

Aside from our romantic dinner dates, there are some things that people just don't understand about us. People don't understand my love-hate relationship with Lollapalooza and maybe it's a North Shore thing but no one else seems to understand the importance of the sides of Perry's Stage.

My true home was always the left side but I would rather be trampled trying to listen to the one Travis Scott song I know at the Bud Light stage than to ignore this gaping hole inside of me. I also tried to explain my love for Water Tower and Oak Street. No one understands how the shopping you have is so much better than anywhere else. Old Orchard mall, you will always have my heart, but I haven't forgotten about your Northbrook Court.

I also miss your sports. The love Chicago has for its sports teams is something I haven't seen anywhere else. Not only is the support different here but I haven't seen any hockey player as cute as Jonathan Toews or Patrick Kane since I left you.

I want you to tell Anthony Rizzo and Kris Bryant that I'm sorry I moved away but I did manage to watch a game on my phone one time but nothing compares to being at Wrigley. I miss you Wrigley Field. I miss you so much Chicago that I would be willing to cheer on the Sox's just to come home.

Also shoutout to the Bears, I haven't seen Pro Football since I left you and I picked a school without football because I could even think of supporting another team.

I want to let you know I made a mistake, I think the south is beautiful but I am missing you more than you could ever know. I wanted a real beach, only to find out that jellyfish stings really hurt.

Lake Michigan, you would never do that to me. I thought I hated your cold weather, but all I want right now is to see the grey-brown slush shoved to the side of the road that was once white beautiful snow.

I miss your people and their Midwestern charm. I wanted to reach out to you because this long distance has been really hard but I'm willing to make it work. I should've never cut you off. I'd really like to work this out and maybe we can talk it out over Thanksgiving or Christmas.

I love you Chicago and I'm sorry for taking you for granted.

Love your sad ex-girlfriend, Holly Malnati

PS. I'm crying right now.