6 Things I Need My 'Little' Sister To Know As She Goes To College
Education

To my sister before she starts her first year of college.

379

Dear Little Sis,

I'll start here by saying a big CONGRATS! You've accomplished so much in your short 18 years here on earth. You're beautiful and smart and I couldn't have ever asked for a better sister. I know you've had some issues with stupid boys and mean girl and you've handled it all with such grace and ease.

But your whole life is about to change.

Those issues you had before are going to come back, and they are going to be much harder to handle this time. Going away to college is going to be the best, and the worst, time of your life. It's going to be scary, but exciting too, and you're going to have ups and downs but at the end of the day, somehow, you're going to make it out alive.

I'll always be looking out for you, no matter where life takes you, so here are a few things I wish someone told me before I left for college:

1. You Just Can't Trust Everyone.

Now, don't take this too literal. I'm not saying you can't trust ANYONE... just not EVERYONE. Sometimes the worst people can be disguised as the most genuine. This is easily the hardest lesson I've had to learn since I've moved out. I know you trust everyone. I know you are always looking for the best in people and I'm not saying to stop that because it really is a great quality but maybe we can just build a guard a little higher. It's not a terrible thing to keep some secrets to yourself.

2. A Rule To Live By: the way they talk about others is the way they talk about you.

When someone seems to be treating others terribly, chances are, they are treating you the exact same way when you're not around. You just don't want friends like that. You also don't want to be that friend. It isn't cool to bash people that have your best interest at heart. Be kind and surround yourself with people who are too.

3. You Don't HAVE To Be Anyones Friend.

College, for the first time in your life, is a place where if you happen to accidentally befriend someone who just is not a good person, you are ALLOWED to stop being their friend and make new ones. You're about to be surrounded with thousands of students, do not settle for someone who isn't going to be the kind of friend to you that you are to them.

4. You Don't Have To Fall In Love... But It's Okay If You Do.

A lot of people think that this is where you have to find your Mr. Right. I'd be lying if there were times when I thought if I didn't find someone now, I'd be alone forever. But that is quite simply NOT the case. You'll learn a lot in college relationships that you didn't get the chance to learn back in high school. You have to understand how to balance your time between friends and school and work and him and it is going to be HARD. But, at the end of the day, whether it works or not, it will teach you so much. So stop being so practical, follow your heart, and fall in love... or don't. Either way, you're going to be just fine when you reach the end of the road.

5. Take a Ton of Pictures.

Be the annoying friend that takes pictures of everything. One day, when life takes over and you have a family and other things to worry about, it is going to be nice to look back on the more simple times. Embrace them. Capture the moments before they are gone for good.

6. Have Fun.

When your friends want to go out, go. When someone comes in your room at 2am and asks if you want to take a ride to Taco Bell for a quesadilla, do it. Take off of work on Saturday's and go to the football games. Looking back, I wish I wouldn't have cared so much about making money on a Saturday and just went to the tailgate with my friends instead. I wish that on the nights I was too tired to do anything I would have just went out with everyone. I wish I didn't let my relationships keep me from hanging out with my friends sometimes or trying new things. You don't have rules all of a sudden... HAVE FUN BECAUSE YOU EARNED IT.

This is going to be the best time of your life. Don't take it for granted, don't hold back and whenever you're skeptical on what to do, don't be scared to take a risk. An, of course, if you ever need anything, I'm only a phone call away.

Love You Always,

Your Big Sis