A Letter to my Big
Lifestyles

A Letter To My Big — And Everyone Who Just Read That And Rolled Their Eyes

This past year I learned a sorority big is much more than someone for flawless photos

176
Sarah Culmone

Dear Reader,

If you read the title of this and rolled your eyes, I guessing you aren't much of a "Greek Life" person. It's okay, I respect and understand it. Not everyone found a home in a sorority or fraternity in college. I was one of the fortunate ones who did. Now I'm sure you cringe at the thought of a peppy girl in their letters yelling, "MY BIG!" I did too, once. But then I got one and saw the true meaning of getting a big.

Dear Christine,

Hi. I'm sure by now you know how much I appreciate you, but I wanted to publish it to the world and show people how awesome not only having a big is, but having you as a big is. You took me on as a little before ever meeting me, and I knew then that you would be someone special. To have a heart kind enough to take a random blonde girl into your family was risky, and I hope you agree that it paid off. From the "Big Reveal" night, I was so excited to get to know you and my twin Casey. When the tapestry dropped, we both had huge smiles on our faces and I knew our story would go way beyond a basket of my favorite snacks (even though I did devour them quickly).

Dear Reader,

Here's the concept: When girls end up in a sorority, one of the most exciting aspects is getting your big. Basically, it's someone you met during the process of ending up in the sorority, in my case Alpha Gamma Delta (AGD), and you want as your mom basically. They are there for everything and are supposed to help you through it all. See, Christine said she would take me as a big before ever meeting me. Most people would consider that as crazy because she's devoting herself to be there for a girl, to be there through everything, who she never even met. Lucky for her, I was not too weird. But I instantly knew that if she took me on blind, her heart was gold.

Dear Christine,

While you have graduated, you're never getting rid of me. I cherish some of our greatest moments together, from the small ones to the big ones. I remember when we were both at work being tour guides, and we were asked to pick up the pizza for lunch. We hopped in your car together, and while it was only a five-minute drive, we laughed the entire time. I remember when we finally pulled over my face hurt and it felt like I had grown a six-pack from all of the laughter. On the other hand, I remember when I wanted to walk to your house from campus one day and could not find it for the life of me. While it was only a few minutes outside of the gate, I struggled so badly. Once I arrived, you wouldn't stop laughing and still to this day remind me how I got lost to a house only two minutes down the road.

Dear Reader,

Being a Big, in Christine's case, went beyond AGD. She was there for me on any occasion, always making me laugh and feel safe. Sure, the title "Big" may be off-putting to some, but to me, she was someone I could always count on to be there for me, regardless of the situation. Christine graduated from Nursing School, which I took every advantage off. Whether it was a papercut or a stubbed toe, I would call her and ask what to do. Most times the conversations ended with us laughing at how ridiculous I was being, but the pain always went away by the time we hung up. Our relationship went beyond a title and is something I'll keep with me forever.

Dear Christine,

Thank you. Thank you for taking me in, being so kind, and helping me be a better person. As you read this, expect to see me soon because we're not too far away. I can't wait to see where you go, and I know you'll be the best nurse ever (I gave you good practice). Thank you for being my big.