A Lesson In Patience

A Lesson In Patience

Perspective on when things aren't working out the way you want.

19
A Lesson In Patience

I don't know about everyone else, but my head is buzzing with plenty of fearful anxiety that I will not get an internship or major-related job for this summer. There's only one summer left to get internship experience for me. Then it's out into the real world. The outskirts of my mind constantly tempt me to believe that every single person around me already has something big, something success-related, or something meaningful lined up to make their summer great.

Meanwhile, I'm over here dying of small talk and selling my "personal brand" at career fairs, having to cancel interviews because of the flu, and wobbling all over this conveniently hilly campus in heels on interview days.

I am over trying so damn hard to make things work out the way I want. No matter how hard I try for things that I think would make a standout resume, there's silence or rejection as the answer. What am I missing here?

For example, there's my top-choice company who I missed the big internship interview for (Thank you Flu Strain A). They were still willing to work with me, they said. However, I'm still here weeks later, using my twitching eyes to send emails of desperation convincing them that I am worth hiring. In my frustration and defeat over this and a few other rejections, I gave into feeling powerless over my situation and feeling sorry for myself. As I'm sitting there, right there in the middle of life, a clear and crisp revelation waved over my mind.

Maybe I don't have to try so hard. Maybe this path I am trying too hard to follow isn't the right one for me.

What if I'm trying so hard to make things fit into my perfect summer plans, that I'm missing the thing that I should be doing? Something that fits me better? Something different than what everyone else says I should do to be successful? My college journey sure as heck has not followed the typical journey, so why did I stop forming my own course now?

Here's some wisdom that I have heard over and over from business leaders: When the hard work of preparation and the precise moment in time meet, it's called luck, success, opportunity, a new beginning, the time to shine (okay I'm getting a bit carried away here). As I put in the work to practice for interviews, go to career fairs, and build my resume, I cannot forget that there is a time for everything. After trying so hard to push for one thing in a world of a million possibilities, I see now that things will come together in their right time and place.

So I will wait. I will prepare and I will wait. And when I see the right path, I will know it and catch it and remember to turn around and say thank you to patience on my way to victory.