A Great Weekend As Told By A Football Fan

A Great Weekend, As Told By A Football Fan

If your teams lose and it doesn't spoil your weekend, you might not be a true football fan.

99
Alex Larson

Success!!!

For the first time in the 2018 football season, both the Huskies and Seahawks won over the weekend, thus completing what I call, "a great weekend". I watched the Huskies play a competitive game against Arizona State, winning 27-20. The next day, the Seahawks won their first game against the Dallas Cowboys 24-13. Putting UW at 3-1, Seahawks at 1-2, and most importantly, I picked both of them to win and they didn't disappoint...but I guess a broken clock is right twice a day.

It's a surprisingly rare case when both your NCAA and NFL team(s) win over the weekend, but when it happens, your weekend officially becomes great. It all starts on Saturday when your college team wins, which in my case is the University of Washington. I took the Link Light Rail to UW Station, and watched as my Dawgs took revenge on ASU for beating them and ruining their College Football Playoff chances last year. I left the stadium smiling, knowing that one of my teams has already taken care of business. Now, I just needed my Seahawks to top off the weekend.

The Seahawks absolutely needed to win this game against the Cowboys, and they did in typical Seahawk fashion: Turnovers, solid defense, running game, and a roarin' CenturyLink Field filled with 12s! Their victory against the Dallas Cowboys gave them their first win, and topped off the first "perfect sports weekend" of 2018.

Now before I get weird looks (if I haven't already) because I'm letting sports determine the outcome of my weekend...let's slow down!

I live to have great weekends, as does everybody! We all work hard during the work week, and everybody looks forward to Friday, especially here in Washington where everybody shows off their Seahawks attire for "Blue Friday". Once the weekend hits us, it's time to relax, de-stress, spend time with your significant other, and watch football! I even did something that I wouldn't have done five years ago (or even two years ago...). After my tradition of watching College Gameday in the AM, I took my girlfriend to a movie instead of spending the first half of my day watching football, as I would be leaving early for the UW game later that afternoon. Thankfully she knows that's not going to be an every weekend thing, but I knew this would make this particular weekend incredible by treating my girl to a movie before losing myself mentally to football for the remainder of the weekend.

...With all of that being said...Enter sports and now the game has changed!

I was smiling from ear to ear as I drove around the neighborhood Sunday afternoon and saw everybody still wearing their Seahawks attire who looked just as happy as I was. I always like to tease my girlfriend and mom by saying, "The Seahawks won!" or "The Huskies won!" and they give me the "It's just a game" look, but us sports junkies know how important a winning weekend is. Some might disagree that having one team win is fine in their book. In some cases, I agree...to an extent. If the Seahawks were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs and the Huskies still had one loss later this season, it's normal to think another Seahawks L and another Husky W is fine since the Huskies needed that win more. But it's early in the season, and the Seahawks needed this win badly, and the Huskies have left no room for error on their 2018 resume.

There was nothing to complain about, nor were there any worries over the weekend. I take my sports as serious as I do everyday life, if you don't like that, that's fine; everybody has their own passions their dedicated about. But sports truly does bring out the best and most definitely the worst in us (you did not want to talk to me after the week 2 loss against the Bears).

A winning weekend for both the Seahawks and Huskies makes me happy. It's the perfect cherry on top of how my weekends already role!

9/29/18 UW Pick: UW 31 BYU 16
9/30/18 Seahawks Pick: Hawks 23 Cardinals 17