A Call to Love One Another

A Call to Love One Another

Our call to love one another is so much greater, because He is so much greater.

38
A Call to Love One Another

"You're not enough."

These words cut deep. They tend to stop me in my tracks, no matter what I'm doing. When I get hung up on these words, it seems impossible to complete the tasks placed before me in my everyday life.

But God is greater.

This second phrase holds so much more power than the first. There is hope found in it.

One of the things God has been showing me lately is how poorly I love people. I'm so impatient and irritable that I get caught up in my own selfishness. I forget my call to love people.

But God is greater.

I'm saying this again, more for myself than anyone else. For, my heart so easily condemns me and believes the lie that I'm not enough.

In the wake of my sin and selfishness, I look around and think that I'll never be able to love people in the way I ought to.

But God is greater.

Psalm 73:26 says, "For my flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

1 John 3:19-20 says, "By this we shall know that we are of the truth and reassure our heart before him; for whenever our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and he knows everything."

I'm still wrapping my head around all this, but God is so sweet, so gracious, and so patient with me.

As always, the Word of the Lord has the final say, and it's so much better than anything I could ever write. So, I'll end with this:

"And this is his command, that we believe in the name of his Son Jesus Christ and love one another, just as he has commanded us" (1 John 3:23).