9 Things People With Toe Thumbs Can Relate To
Conditions

No, you're not the only one with toe thumbs.

44553
personal photo

Yes, it's true - I have toe thumbs. If you're new to the whole phenomenon of toe thumbs, don't worry because I didn't know that this even existed until a couple of years ago. Toe thumbs are also called clubbed thumbs, stub thumbs, potter's thumbs or murderer's thumbs. The medical term is Brachydactyly Type D. To describe what toe thumbs are like, they are short, round thumbs with wide nails and they look a little like toes. Some people have only one toe thumb and a regular thumb or both thumbs are toe thumbs, like me. Here's just a few of relatable things that people with toe thumbs go through.

1. You hear the phrase, “Woah, your thumbs! Let me see them!"

When you have toe thumbs it doesn't really feel any different than people with “regular" thumbs until someone points it out and wants to get a closer look at your thumbs. This is actually strange when it happens, but I realize not a lot of people know what toe thumbs look like.

2. You always lose thumb wars.

If you have toe thumbs you understand the struggle of never winning a thumb war. You always go in with the mindset of “I'm going to win this one this time,"but then you realize that your little thumb just isn't tall enough.

3. You know which celebrities have toe thumbs.

People who have toe thumbs all know that Megan Fox and Leighton Meester have toe thumbs. They are pretty much toe thumb idols! It's always exciting to know that someone who is well known has something in common with you, especially with us toe thumb people.

4. You get excited when you find a fellow toe thumb buddy.

As a person who has toe thumbs, I always pay extra attention to other people's thumbs to see if I can find anyone else like me. Once you find someone else with toe thumbs, you're always shocked and excited to finally find someone else like you!

5. You hide your toe thumbs.

I must admit that I use to hide my thumbs from people because I knew that people would comment on them if they noticed my thumbs were a little different. People with toe thumbs can get a little self conscious about their thumbs and try to hide them in their palms.

6. You realize that your thumbs have a role in playing instruments.

If you have toe thumbs and you play an instrument that involves using your thumbs, you will totally understand the awkwardness of the role your toe thumbs play. For me, it was playing the french horn, the instrument that French special thumb trigger. My little thumb always struggled to reach that thumb trigger, but it never stopped me from playing! On the contrary, when I played the piano, I was able to move my thumbs a little faster than others.

7. You look at certain activities differently.

There are activities that involve using your thumbs that people with toe thumbs look at differently. Let's just say that texting can be a little bit more work when you have toe thumbs, especially with an iPhone 6 Plus. Bowling is a struggle when you you're trying to find a ball that fits your small thumbs. Let's not forget the video game controllers. Finding ways to have your thumbs reach from one button to the next is not as easy for us.

8. You have to contemplate giving someone a thumbs up.

Your thumbs are so small that when you give someone a thumbs up, they probably won't be able to see that you're giving them a thumbs up. This causes you to think whether giving someone a thumbs up is even worth it.

9. You are proud of your toe thumbs.

Yes, there are times when you just don't like your thumbs, but then there are other times when you love them! Don't be ashamed of your thumbs because at the end of the day this is part of who you are. Don't be afraid to give someone a thumbs up or hold someone's hand. Be proud of your toe thumbs because not everyone has them!