9 Terrifying Movies To Scare You Silly This Halloween

Faced with the difficult endeavor of choosing a frightening movie this Halloween? This list is sure to help.

100
Taste of Cinema

These nine horror flicks, new and old, are packed with enough suspense, gore, and terror to frighten the hell out of any brave soul willing to watch them.

Faced with the difficult choice of picking the perfect movie to watch this Halloween, this list will guide you in the right direction.

1. "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" (1974)

Good, raw, no-way-around-it, terrifying horror. Released in 1974, this low-budget classic set in central Texas will forever linger in American horror cinema. Unsuspecting young hitchhikers, eerie middle-of-nowhere vibes, and a family comprised of satanic cannibals make for a suspenseful 83 minute thrill ride. Leatherface, the masked chainsaw-wielding pop culture icon, will haunt even the thickest of skin. If gore isn’t your cup of tea, this film may not be for you. Oh, and the based “on a true story” slide before the film is surely comforting.

2. "The Shining" (1980)

Beautiful imagery, terrifying hallucinations, and a haunted hotel truly makes for a haunting psychological horror. With the Easter eggs, mental deterioration, and creepy ghostly entities, "The Shining" will leave you tormented long after its 145 minute runtime. It took Stanley Kubrick, the mastermind director behind the flick, five years to finalize it. Here’s a Halloween costume idea for those still undecided: the twin girl apparitions from The Overlook Hotel.

3. "It Follows" (2015)

In the mood for a teen horror flick without the taboo twists and turns? "It Follows" does just that, taking the classic teen slasher formula, extracting the gore, and sprinkling in an uber interesting plot. With rad color schemes, an eclectic soundtrack, and a cast equipped with superb acting skills, “It Follows” will leave you pondering what you fear, whether it be tangible or something else.

4. "Get Out” (2017)

Let’s face it - we are living in an era of grim sociopolitical divide, and some are saying it is worse than ever. “Get Out”, directed by well-known comedian Jordan Peele, shocked everyone when it received a near-perfect score on Rotten Tomatoes in early 2017. However, this clever film, loaded with social commentary, sparked a new era of what is constituted as horror, and is more than deserving of the score. Filled with comedic drive, racial metaphors, and hypnotic manipulation, “Get Out” tells a tale begging its audience to ponder the social, political, and racial clichés in modern society.

5. "IT." (2017)

Arguably the most currently buzzed about film on this list, the modern version of Stephen King’s character Pennywise The Clown, who takes the form of children’s deepest fears, is utterly sinister. This film, diving deeper into dark psychological horror than the 1990 miniseries did, is a refreshing thrill ride showing that even society's most innocent asset - children - are not excluded from the horror narrative.

6. "Halloween” (1978)

You can’t have a Halloween movie list without adding "Halloween". An epitome of teen-slasher films, “Halloween” is packed with frightful jump scares, suspenseful music, and introduced the world to the knife-wielding, “run but you can’t hide”, maniac Micheal Myers. After watching this spine-tingling horror, trick-or-treating will never be the same.

7. "The Exorcist" (1973)

The scariest film on this list - by far. There’s something so fundamentally terrifying about a satan possessed twelve-year-old that is hard to shake after watching this timely groundbreaking horror film. Mixing religious symbolism and the real-life phenomenon of exorcisms, the exorcist will have you catching yourself shielding your eyes in the film’s most disturbing scenes. The exorcism plot in the horror department may be recycled, but “The Exorcist” is the original that started it all.

8. "Scream” (1996)

A slasher film killing victims and horror movie archetypes alike, “Scream” will keep you on your toes for its entire runtime, offering plenty of comedic relief which is quickly shutdown by the frightful masked killer. Typically horror franchises begin to go in the wrong direction after the sequel’s release, but “Scream” erases that stereotype. With three films released following the first, and a 2015 MTV T.V. series, “Scream” battles horror movie taboos while offering a unique spin, but still offering a genuine slasher film.

9. “The Witch” (2015)

A horror film about a family living in 1630 New England may sound like a borefest, but this spine-tingling twist on creepy folktale is downright scary. Uncomfortable to watch and leaving you paranoid start to end, “The Witch” revolutionizes what is constituted as a good horror film. Full of possessed goats, witchcraft, and family trauma, “The Witch” will suck you into the dark world of this colonial New England family.

So, are you brave enough to watch any of these films?