summer movies 2018

9 Movies Coming Out This Summer You Need To Watch

You don't want to miss these summer flicks.

50
https://unsplash.com/photos/AtPWnYNDJnM
Krists Luhaers

After seeing a lot of friends get MoviePass, I decided to hop on board the train as of last week. For about $10 a month, I get to watch one movie in theaters per day. I finally caved because of all the absolutely iconic films that are either coming out or have already come out this summer that I know I'll want to see more than once.

1. "Avengers: Infinity War."

Release date: April 27

You should probably have already seen this one; it's been two months by now. But if you haven't, or if you want to watch it for a fifth time, you should definitely do that.

This is the film all other MCU films have been leading to up to this point: the battle with Thanos. It's funny, heartbreaking, a cinematic masterpiece, all your faves team up, and it's absolutely essential if you claim to be a Marvel and/or superhero fan.

2. "Solo: A Star Wars Story."

Release date: May 25

I finally saw this last week, and I'm eagerly awaiting my MoviePass card to come in the mail so I can go see it at least two or three more times.

A lot of people were skeptical of this movie, and I was even one of the ones less than enthused about this particular prequel, but it honestly blew me away. Alden Ehrenreich absolutely kills it as young Han Solo, as does Donald Glover portraying a young Lando Calrissian. Not only is it packed with sweet action and plot twists, it fills in some gaps left behind by the previous "Star Wars" films.

If you haven't seen it yet, you really need to.

3. "Ocean's 8."

Release date: June 8

I haven't as of yet seen this film, but I crave it the way a jackal salivates for an injured possum (kudos to anyone who understands that reference).

Growing up, I was a huge fan of the "Ocean's" movies starring George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, Don Cheadle, etc. Imagine my extreme delight when I heard there was going to be a sequel starring an all-female team, lead by Sandy B herself. A team-up featuring Cate Blanchett, Sarah Paulson, Mindy Kaling, Rihanna, Helena Bonham-Carter, and Awkwafina trying to steal from Anne Hathaway??? Could it get any better????

I've heard mixed reviews about it, but I genuinely could not care less what critics may think. This movie is a dream come true.

4. "Incredibles 2."

Release date: June 13

And here we have yet another film I'm waiting on MoviePass to go see.

The long-awaited, much-anticipated sequel to an animated superhero classic. Do I even need to cite a reason you should go see this one? If you had any semblance of a childhood, this movie is probably already on your "To Watch" list.

But don't be one of those jerks who thinks it's funny to say "aLL tHoSE kiDs BeTtEr sTaY oUt oF mY wAY. i'Ve WaiTeD 14 yEaRs fOr tHiS!!!!" You're going to see a cartoon. There will be kids. Don't be That Guy.

5. "Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom."

Release date: June 22

Not gonna lie, the recent "Jurassic" sequels haven't been too incredible. Nothing will ever match the brilliance of the first one, and yet I still find myself watching every single installment since then.

This one features the return of Jeff Goldblum as Dr. Ian Malcolm though, so it's bound to be better than all the rest. And Chris Pratt brings a certain flair to the movies. Go for the actors, is what I'm saying. If you go for the plot, you might be the teensiest bit disappointed.

I say this without knowing what the plot of this one will exactly be, but, as I said, nothing will ever top the first "Jurassic Park," though the movies try their darnedest to. They very much resemble the scientists and corporations in the films that are consistently trying to come up with something even bigger and cooler than last time.

Still, I'll probably go see it anyway. I'm a sucker for dinosaurs.

6. "Ant-Man and The Wasp."

Release date: July 6

This is going to be the beeeeeeest. Like, I'm shaking, I'm so excited to watch this one.

This is the first Marvel solo movie with a female as one of the main characters, much less with a female character's name in the title of movie. It's a huge deal, and I've been anxiously awaiting its arrival.

The first "Ant-Man" was great; it was extremely funny, Scott was driven by protecting and wanting to see his daughter, and the romance was very low-key and not the focus at all. It's safe to assume this one will be equally awesome.

7. "Eighth Grade."

Release date: July 13

This one is rather different from all the other films on this list, but every time I watch the trailer, I feel like I have to see it.

From the trailer alone, it seems like "Eighth Grade" capture what it truly is like to be in...you guessed it....eighth grade. The main character is awkward--and not in the super cute Jennifer Lawrence-esque type of awkward; she's relatable. The whole movie seems raw and real, a total contrast to all the superhero, sci-fi, heist films on this list where the plot and one-liners have been perfected. I'm definitely all for those types of movies, but there's something special about an indie film like this one.

8. "BlacKkKlansman."

Release date: August 10

Are you kidding me? John David Washington and Adam Driver teaming up to defeat racist Topher Grace, featuring the incredible Laura Harrier? I'm there.

An African-American, ambitious detective sets out to infiltrate and destroy the local KKK chapter, only to end up becoming the head of it. Not only am I yearning to see them put away the KKK, but I'm interested to see what modern implications for the racism plaguing our nation Spike Lee has woven in.

9. "Dog Days."

Release date: August 10

I'm gonna admit, I will probably....not watch this movie. Unless I'm going with one of my nephews or something. It's not exactly my type of film, but it stars Finn Wolfhard and Nina Dobrev and Vanessa Hudgens so I kind of almost have to go see it at some point?

Finn Wolfhard won me over since "Stranger Things," and since I couldn't bring myself to go see "IT," I feel like I've got to support my son in some way. It definitely seems like a cheesy, feel-good film, but hopefully still cute?

While this is in no way an ad (though @ MoviePass, I wouldn't be mad at like one month free or something in exchange for this article) and my card hasn't even come in yet, I'm still recommending getting a subscription so you can watch these movies and more this summer.

You can thank me later.