9 Reasons Why Being an OSL is the Best Thing That Can Happen to You

I will ever loyal be.

318

One year ago, I was sitting in an auditorium in the back of Wyly tower listening as these strange eighteen people went on and on about how nothing would ever top the experience of being an Orientation Student Leader. As passionate as they sounded, I had no belief that they were actually right. I mean, obviously Orientation staff is a great opportunity, and you get to touch thousands of freshmen, but there was no way it was as great as it was hyped up to be.

As I stand here a year later, I can proudly say that I would give up anything to relive this past year of my life! From sleep deprived nights, almost dying on surprise trips, eating the same three meals twelve times, crying when there were no tears left, and laughing until my whole body hurt, every moment is a treasured memory that flew by way too fast. For anyone considering taking the chance on trying, here's the 9 reasons why being an Orientation Student Leader is the best thing that can happen to you.

1. You truly fall in love with your University.

Louisiana Tech is a unique and special place filled with over twelve thousand students, who each bring a different outlook to campus. It took me taking the time to pause and look to fully understand that! As an OSL, you spend months learning everything there is to know about the university and meeting dozens of people in tons of different departments. As monotonous as it gets, you develop such a deeper appreciation for the university of which you are a part of! Trust me when I say I used every bit of that learned information when talking to parents this summer!

2. You learn to put yourself behind for the good of the whole.

"Service before self." That was the 2016 staff's motto going into this summer. So often, the hype of being an OSL becomes greater to a person than actually focusing on why we are there to begin with. Every sleepless night and trip to the cafeteria is only worth it if you realize that there's something much greater at play. This year we welcomed the largest Freshman class in Louisiana Tech history, and were incredibly successful in integrating them into the Tech community. This was only possible because we put our selfish wants aside and didn't focus on how anything could benefit us. How much greater would this world be if we took that mindset to heart every day?

3. You learn to dance in front of a thousand people and not be embarrassed.

"Presents", the only show of its kind, is the most intimidating yet incredible thing to be a part of. After months spent working on sketches and dances, you have four chances to leave everything on the stage. Here at Tech, we start off with an opening dance that shows how "talented" our staff truly is. Needless to say, watching the video now is quite embarrassing! However, the feeling of conquering the fear of judgement is something I can hold with me for the rest of my life. Also, it's absolutely something you can constantly joke about with your staff, especially the ones who are worse than you.

4. You'll learn how to talk to a wall.

Every person has a different way they communicate, and your job as an Orientation Leader is to tap into that and make every student feel important. Whether this is talking about how to hack phones for two hours or discussing the latest One Direction drama, you learn to adapt and pull things out of people! You'll never be more tired of talking about things, but it's all worth it in the Fall when the Freshmen remember and come back to ask you more about it! Some are harder to talk to than others, but that's why you're there and making people feel comforted is a feeling that's worth it!

5. You'll change lives (Even if it's just one).

Every person you encounter is an opportunity. Whether it's a student lost on campus or a parent who is scared about their child going off to school, you get to be there and offer comfort and smiling face. I spent hours on the phone this summer talking to parents and students and answering questions. As annoying as it can be to some to take time out of their lives to answer the same question a thousand times, you get to be the one who brings light to the unknown and that's an honor. Treat it as such, and answer every question with love. In the end, you'll come to discover that your life will be changed by these people more than you thought possible.

6. You become part of a legacy.

Only 651 Orientation Leaders have come through Louisiana Tech. And, gratefully, I get to claim one of those numbers. The legacy of being an OSL is so much greater than a person can understand unless you have been one. You carry decades of history on your shoulders, and are in charge of making sure that people feel welcome and at home. One bad year of Orientation Leaders, and it can greatly affect the university and the student attitude as a whole. However, the pressure you feel is nothing next to the pride that shines when you know you've added to the legacy in a positive way!

7. You get to have a pretty cool boss.

Andy would have been mad had I not mentioned him in this article, so I guess I kind of have to (Needy!). But for real, your life will change the moment you get to meet your boss - I mean truly meet him and get to know him. Being in charge of Orientation is no small feat, and dominates the life of the guy who runs it! For some reason, after years of experience and a love for Orientation that runs deeper than you can understand, he chose you to be a part of his family. Through countless surprises and terrible jokes that make zero sense (some at your own expense), your boss becomes your lifeline. I can honestly say I'm so grateful our staff got to have such a great man lead us!

8. Your staff becomes your family.

As cliché as this sounds, I wouldn't have made it through this past year without the nineteen people I got to serve my University with. Before we started this process, I knew only a handful of them, and now I can proudly say that every one of them holds a special place in my heart. Whether it was bonding over our connection to Elle Woods, or discussing our appreciation for English literature, every person impacted me greater than I thought possible! This year was not easy on me, both for school and personal reasons, but my staff protected, encouraged, and loved me through it all! I can't type more because I'll cry, but you all know what you mean to me.

9. Nothing will ever compare.

The last eleven months will forever stay in my heart. I'm grateful every day that I got to serve my university in such an incredible way, and my heart was touched by so many indescribable people. No matter what happens or where I end up, nothing will ever compare to this past year and this summer, because it's an experience that can't be repeated or fully explained! I would one thousand percent recommend it to anyone who's willing to give everything they have to get back more than they ever thought possible!

I will ever loyal be to the best university, the best freshman class, and the best staff God could've given me! #L1T6 forever