9 Reasons I Started Running

9 Reasons I Started Running

Its more than just about looking better.

6
9 Reasons I Started Running

I ran on the cross country team all through middle school and half way through high school. It was always the main thing I did. Even when I decided to not be on the team anymore, I still would make time to run around my neighborhood after school. I loved running.

During my first semester of college, I stopped running and told myself that, eventually, I would make time to do it. It was also during my first semester of college that I fell into a depression. I was sad all of the time and couldn't even find a reason to get out of my bed.

Over Christmas break, my mom, my sister, and I went to a funeral. I remember getting there and my sister said something about how tight my dress looked and how unhealthy I was being. I was so mad, but that night, I laid down and thought about how right she was. Here I was, eating out all of the time. I had stopped running or doing anything for that matter, and nothing I owned fit me. I was depressed and had no purpose for anything.

Going back for my second semester, I made the decision that 2017 was going to be MY year. I started running and I had forgotten how good it felt to be by myself and to have that time that I wanted. Now, almost 3 months later, I have lost almost 20 pounds and so many good things about my mental health have changed. Sometimes, continuing is hard, but I remind myself of these reasons to keep going.

1. To feel more confident.

My first semester, I lost a lot of confidence. I was not the same happy girl I was when I graduated high school. I felt like I couldn't wear anything without feeling like someone was looking. Running has given me the confidence to wear those jeans again and to wear those shorts that I hadn't worn since August.

2. To push myself.

Endurance is such a big thing that comes with distance running. I realized that once running on a regular basis became a thing for me, I loved the feeling of pushing myself into doing better.

3. To show others what I can do.

In the middle of my run, I would get this feeling of wanting to quit. When this would happen, I would then start thinking about the people that said I couldn't do it and what they would think when they saw me. Such a motivation pusher.

4. To have alone time.

I like having alone time. Even though I love my roommate, there are times when I need to have that time to myself and running does just that. Put in my headphones and just take off.

5. To be stronger.

Not even in the physical sense. I have become mentally stronger every time I decide that I need to run.

6. To be proud of myself.

Since running, I have lost almost 15 pounds. That is something that I have never been able to do. Now that I have done that, I am more motivated to get out and go on that run.

7. To have goals and actually achieve them.

I told myself that if I could lose around 15 pounds before my spring break, I would buy myself something that I always wanted. It was so rewarding walking into that store and walking out with that jacket I had wanted for so long.

8. To be healthier.

Being healthier makes you feel like you can dominate the world and do whatever you want to do in it. Being healthier just makes you an all around better person and makes you feel so much better.

9. To fix my mindset.

Before I started running, I found myself in a major depression. I was laying in bed all day and didn't get out at all. I started running, and I found myself having more energy to do more on campus. It has fixed me.

Running is a wonderful thing and doing it changes a lot more than you think that it does.

Much Love Always -Addison.