9 Quotes From New Feature Film 'Free State of Jones' That Make You Proud To Be American

1082
Circle Cinema

In the wake of the Fourth of July, it's only natural that we as a society "ring" in our cultural values and proclaim exactly just how proud we are to be American. As it happens, the other day I got the opportunity to see one of the newest blockbusters on the scene, "Free State of Jones." May I first say that should you not have already seen this feature film, you definitely need to. I was completely moved by the performances of the cast, and their ability to portray such a powerful situation was incredible. With that being said, there were many instances in this movie in which I found myself resonating with the characters in the sense that I grew ever more proud of America the beautiful.

"No man ought to tell another man what he's gotta live for or what he's got to die for."

"There's plenty left to fight for."

"Girls, do you know how to shoot one of these?"

"Mr. Moses, what are you?" "A free man, captain." "Sure is."

"This fight’s for our children and their children’s children."

"The winds are shifting and you can’t fight it this time."

"It ain't just for us. Black, white, rich, poor, it's for everybody."

"See her, lieutenant, you steal our corn we got nothing to feed the hog. If we can’t feed the hog we got nothing to put in the smokehouse, we got nothing to put in the smokehouse we starve in the winter. That’s murder, ain’t it? You know what the penalty for murder is, don’t you, lieutenant? "

"And as such we do hereby proclaim and affirm the following principles. Number one, no man ought to stay poor so another man can get rich. Number two, no man ought to tell another man what you got to live for or what he’s got to die for. Number three, what you put in the ground is yours to tend and harvest and there ain’t no man ought to be able to take that away from you. Number four, every man is a man. If you walk on two legs, you’re a man. It’s as simple as that."

In recent news, there have been some tragic incidences occurring throughout our beautiful nation. In these hard times, it's good that media artifacts like this incredible and powerful movie can bring us back to what we know best. This feature film is key at highlighting many values of the American society such as equality, hard work, and pride. "Free State of Jones" is a wonderful chance for us to escape, and remember the joys this country brings us. And besides, who wouldn't want to stare at Matthew McConaughey for two hours?